Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1 inch tiles vs 6 inch tiles

1. Back To Top    #1

1 inch tiles vs 6 inch tiles

Advantages? I really like this color in 1 inch tiles... PB says they pop off, and you will have more grout.. Which I can see that.. But PB said it's harder to clean, you see more grout, and the tiles themselves tend to pop off quite frequently due to pool movement etc.. PB said the 6 inch tiles bond better to gunite due to the extra surface area, are easier to clean, and have an overall cleaner look..
    22,000 Gallon, IG, 608 sq feet, 114 feet perimeter, Tahoe Blue Pebblesheen Plaster, Jandy 60 Sqft DE filter, Intelliflo SVRS pump, Jandy PDA4, 2 Jandy LED Pool Lights, Letro Autofill, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, Nature 2 in-line, 3 ft sheer decent, bubbler on tanning shelf, 472 sq feet seeded aggregate deck, Oklahoma Flag stone coping

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: 1 inch tiles vs 6 inch tiles

I am not sure about popping off, but I suppose that makes sense. You will certainly have a lot more grout (and a tougher time cleaning) with the smaller tiles. What color tiles are you looking at? You should be able to get just about any color in whatever size you choose.

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't like the 1" tiles. Too much grout. There are many patterns available in the 6" size.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well.. I have Oklahoma flag.. And Tahoe Blue pebble sheen.. I want to blend the two colors.. Don't want a brown or a blue tile.. but one with both colors..
    22,000 Gallon, IG, 608 sq feet, 114 feet perimeter, Tahoe Blue Pebblesheen Plaster, Jandy 60 Sqft DE filter, Intelliflo SVRS pump, Jandy PDA4, 2 Jandy LED Pool Lights, Letro Autofill, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, Nature 2 in-line, 3 ft sheer decent, bubbler on tanning shelf, 472 sq feet seeded aggregate deck, Oklahoma Flag stone coping

5. Back To Top    #5

maybe this: http://www.fujiwatiles.com/product.asp?plid=78. The "reef" pattern is blue and brown. I was considering that one but then went with the "lagoon" which has more blue than brown.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

They will only pop off if the prepwork hasn't been done right. Any tile will come off in that respect.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks.. I like the 1 inch tile look... Just worried about having to scrub grout instead of tile... And defeintly don't want tiles popping off all the time.. I have several curves in my pool, and figured they would lay down around them better because they come in these mesh backed sections..

8. Back To Top    #8

My guess is that the PB is steering you away from them because they are more work for him? Most if not all contractors have very little concern about how much work is created for you after they leave the job. I agree with you that they will work better in a pool with alot of curves.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have 1" subway tiles (1x2) in my whole pool. Nary a one has popped off and cleaning is not a big deal. They were certainly more work for the tile layer, and cost more per sheet to lay.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here