What do you think the cause is?

Candi

Jun 23, 2010
This is a friends pool. They just moved into the house in Octobor so they don't know the history of the pool.[attachment=0:3kap7r6h]untitled22.JPG[/attachment:3kap7r6h][attachment=1:3kap7r6h]untitled1.JPG[/attachment:3kap7r6h]

Attachments

• untitled1.JPG
    untitled1.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 310
  • untitled22.JPG
    untitled22.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 310
If the top rail is still in place and only the wall folded over it has to do with liner pull. If the top rail went over that means the cover was pulling too hard and collapsed the wall support structure.

OUCH!
I don't have an answer that fits this, at this point - but let me walk you through what I'm seeing from the pics. (maybe someone else will be able to fit the pieces of this puzzle together)

Looking at those pics, I see that where the wall failed is where the cover was firmly attached to the deck. (eventually, the cover managed to come off the round ends of that oval pool - but didn't in the damaged area of the wall) This makes me think that the cover was equally secure on the other side - OR that any 'under the cover' air pillows had drifted to that side.

I assume that most of the cover was secured by a 'cord and winch'.

Furthermore, I assume you had weather like we've had - i.e. last week we got ~1' of snow dumped on us and then,this week, we've had the past 2 days in the 50s & 60s, resulting in a big melt off, with the result being that there was a good bit of water on the cover. (BTW- kudos to your friends for keeping the cover clean and debris free :goodjob: )

This doesn't explain why the water on the cover became so heavy as to wreck the walls before being released. For this to happen, I suspect that a major hole/ tear in the liner just occurred. Somehow the pool lost a lot of water, in a short period of time, which resulted in the water on the cover being heavy enough to wreck the wall :x

If the other areas around the pool are ~ dry, look for a big puddle around the pool to see ~ where the liner failed.

Knowing where the liner failed is ~ useless now but, it may help them in the future. [This assumes that they will replace the pool]

I'm sorry this happened!

I hope you will continue with this thread and post more pics, as the reason for this wall failure unfolds.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
swimcmp said:
It has nothing to do with the cover as none of the top rail has fallen. It is strictly wall failure or liner failure

I have reconsidered my hypothesis that it had to be a sudden loss of water. A slow leak could have drained the pool enough that the cover water eventually had to give, at it's weakest point, and with a sudden thaw - any buoyant ice would quickly be gone.

Now I ask you to reconsider your position. The affected area of the wall is where the deck is. I think it's likely that the uprights and attached coping are secured to the deck. When the cover tried to pull into the pool, it put stress on the walls and liner but found no relief where the deck is. With nowhere else to relieve the pressure, the wall crumbled at the deck, pulling itself out from under the coping and toprail, alleviating the pressure while leaving the wall there wrecked.

Alternate hypothesis - with the cable drawing in on all other areas of the pool, the rest of the pool bowed in everywhere but at the deck. Because the rest of the pool could flex inward, and the area at the deck remained upright, the walls under the deck bowed out enough to get the toprail out of the track. Once freed from the track, the weight of the water on the cover (which hadn't been relieved yet) crushed the walls. (look at where the 2 crumple sites are... in between where the cable is fully secured to the deck). It's where the cover was most secure and where the weight would be greatest.

Hey, as always, just my $.02. :)

Waste we have seen this a couple times before the cover has nothing to do with it. The wall gave but the toprail stayed that means the cover didnt pull on it. One other option is a burst of wind if that side is unprotected. The wood deck would have acted like a wind tunnel.

Thanks for the educated response, which mine wasn't - I have had limited dealings with AG pools.

I do find it interesting that this must be an inherent problem with AG , or oval AG, pools. We don't know the manufacturer so must assume the problem is in the design and not, per se, the materials.

I'm not 'baiting' you, I'm trying to figure out if there is some way this problem could be avoided in the future and what the causes may be. :cool:

Unless they know who the original mfg is of the pool probably would have to replace it all. Just because it is a said size mfg to mfg doesn't measure out the same for some reason. Sorry to say but that is past experience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.