HELP! Sprung a leak

Apr 12, 2011
My wife heard the pump losing pressure this evening. Checked the basket and it was plugged like a cork with debris from all the rain today. When I cleared it, the sudden change in pressure caused the filter casing to spring a leak (several actually). I now have roughly 5 pencil width jet streams spraying from the filter housing when I turn on the pump. The whole system was in place before I bought the house and most of the labeling has been worn off, but with a flashlight at an angle, I can make out "Hayward 500 Star Clean Filter Model C-1500". The pool is about 10k gallons. I'm attaching a photo of the filter housing. The red line shows the location of the leaks (they're actually on the opposite side facing the house). A few questions:

- It almost looks like the housing is 3 separate parts and all the leaks are in the middle portion. I wouldn't be so lucky that I could just change this one part?
- Is this model still even available?
- If the water level is not above the middle of the tile, the filter housing normally makes a considerable amount of noise with the sound of water rushing in. This happens well before the pump loses prime. Is this normal or should I change to a different model filter housing in the process of dealing with this problem. This is an issue often, as it seems that I open have to run the hose for 30min every week or two to keep the level up, leading me to wonder if I have a small leak somewhere (a different issue... I digress)
- The PVC going into the filter housing is threaded. Does this just unscrew? How do I disconnect from the pump outlet and pool return plumbing?
- The existing unit is just sitting freely without being attached to the pad? Does this matter? When I fix this, should I tag it down with tapcons or something?
- The existing pump is old and right next to the pool (poor or cheap design). Is there any connection between the filter housing and the pump that this would be a good opportunity to change both at the same time or does the two speed have no impact on the filter design?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated. I have to get this going before my pool turns into a swamp. It won't take long with this nasty weather we're having right now in South Florida. Thanks!

Brad

Attachments

• pool filter.png
    pool filter.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 105
prosoundbrad said:
My wife heard the pump losing pressure this evening. Checked the basket and it was plugged like a cork with debris from all the rain today. When I cleared it, the sudden change in pressure caused the filter casing to spring a leak (several actually). I now have roughly 5 pencil width jet streams spraying from the filter housing when I turn on the pump. The whole system was in place before I bought the house and most of the labeling has been worn off, but with a flashlight at an angle, I can make out "Hayward 500 Star Clean Filter Model C-1500". The pool is about 10k gallons. I'm attaching a photo of the filter housing. The red line shows the location of the leaks (they're actually on the opposite side facing the house). A few questions:

- It almost looks like the housing is 3 separate parts and all the leaks are in the middle portion. I wouldn't be so lucky that I could just change this one part?
you can

- Is this model still even available?
Parts are, GIYF http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_filter_ ... _clear.htm at $300 it might be cheaper to get a new unit.

- If the water level is not above the middle of the tile, the filter housing normally makes a considerable amount of noise with the sound of water rushing in. This happens well before the pump loses prime. Is this normal or should I change to a different model filter housing in the process of dealing with this problem. This is an issue often, as it seems that I open have to run the hose for 30min every week or two to keep the level up, leading me to wonder if I have a small leak somewhere (a different issue... I digress)
Others will be along with better advise than I can give, but in the mean time, google bucket test

- The PVC going into the filter housing is threaded. Does this just unscrew? How do I disconnect from the pump outlet and pool return plumbing?Well, yes, but if there is a union in the pipe run or at either end. Do you see a union? If there is not one, I would use one when I reinstalled the filter

- The existing unit is just sitting freely without being attached to the pad? Does this matter? When I fix this, should I tag it down with tapcons or something? Don't know

- The existing pump is old and right next to the pool (poor or cheap design). Is there any connection between the filter housing and the pump that this would be a good opportunity to change both at the same time or does the two speed have no impact on the filter design? Others will weigh in on this. It might be time to study energy savings and possible rebates at your power company

Any and all advice greatly appreciated. I have to get this going before my pool turns into a swamp. It won't take long with this nasty weather we're having right now in South Florida. Thanks!

Brad

Thanks for the help! I tried giving the old housing one last shot by sealing the crack in the case with JB weld, but it exploded as soon as the system pressurized. So here is my question for everyone. I hate working on things just to put them back into the condition they started. Since I am going to purchase a whole new cartridge filter assembly and do a tiny bit of plumbing anyway (the system is installed without unions on anything), I'm considering moving my pump while I'm at it. Currently it is 5 feet from the pool and our bedroom window. I would like to move the pump and filter 30' to the other side of the house. I can do the electric no problem and probably stumble my way through the plumbing, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea, since I've never seen a pump located separate from the valves.

Here is the plumbing layout:

There are inlets from a skimmer and floor-drain, through a jandy into the pump, then into the filter. From that point, there is line to the street, pump return, and three returns to the pool (2 jets and a half dozen little hoses above the waterline for agitation.) There is a 5th pipe on the return side that is a mystery (there is a jet outlet near a seat on the pool that has never worked, I assume it feeds this). Everything is 1 1/2"

I don't want to mess with all this plumbing, but moving the pump and filter to the other side of the house gets it out of view and reduces the noise level by 15 dB. Here is the question: Can I move the pump and filter away from all the jandy valves and plumbing and just run (2) 1 1/2" PVC 30' to the other side of the house, or will this increase the resistance too much? I have always seen The lines from the pool run all the way from the pump equipment, but I'm not sure if this is for functional or practical reasons.

Thanks!

Brad

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.