??? Gray Intex Ultra Metal Frame vs Blue Intex Metal Frame

Re: ??? Gray Intex Ultra Metal Frame vs Blue Intex Metal Fra

Have had both, will not go back the blue! The frame is much easier to assemble and disassemble on the Ultra. Seems like better paint (on mine at least) on the Ultra. The grey fabric is heavier and does not fade like the blue. The top tubes (where the frame runs through) is easier to clean. Yes you need to clean out that area (frogs, spiders...) I use a tapered refrigerator brush http://www.truevalue.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=13012 to clean mine. Just a better product all the way around. Except the pumps which are the same and are not up to the job for either style.

Yea my neighbor has one of the round frame pools,and it is not near the quality of the ultra frame pool like i have. i am updating my pump system to a 1.5hp pump and a sand filter system;as the pump was not adequate to move enough water in my opinion. Plus i wanted a cascading waterfall feature spilling water into the pool. I also upgrated to steps going down into the pool off of our deck.

Hello,

I am new here on the forum and found this topic via Google. I am currently trying to decide between the blue and the grey Intex pool. The question is: is the liner of the grey one, in particular the bottom, of a better/sturdier quality?

Appreciate any information on that one.

thanks
grani13

PS: For your background - I do have a blue metal frame pool (bought 2nd hand from a friend). The problem is that now that I wanted to put it up it has over 20 pinholes... any idea what the cause could be? (ants?) This is the reason why I am a bit concerned - as I haven't found the cause I don't want to spend money on a new pool and then have a bunch of holes again in a couple of weeks/months...

grani13,
I am not 100% sure, but I think that the grey pool material felt heavier than the blue. Like I said above, I have had both (and the inflatable ring) and I think that the gray was the heaviest.
As far as your holes, could be bugs of some sort, or I have heard of nutgrass growing through pool bottoms. I use 2" foam board under mine and neve have had a problem.

poolboy24 said:
Yea my neighbor has one of the round frame pools,and it is not near the quality of the ultra frame pool like i have. i am updating my pump system to a 1.5hp pump and a sand filter system;as the pump was not adequate to move enough water in my opinion. Plus i wanted a cascading waterfall feature spilling water into the pool. I also upgrated to steps going down into the pool off of our deck.

What kind of steps did you get??

I have had 1 blue easy set and 2 blue metal frame pools over the years.
This year we got the Ultra frame 16 x 48 and wow, The frame seems much sturdier. The frame on the blues seems to move easily where as the frame on the Ultra is not so easy to move.
The Liner on the bottom seems to be at least double the thickness of my old blues.
Even the wife says there's no way we are buying a blue again.
Oh also the "feet" on the legs seem to be twice as big as the blue making it a little less likely for the legs to sink if you don't use pavers or foam.
My tarp still had a imprint mark from the old blue pool and I still scratch my head at the small feet they used on the blue.
I didn't realize how small they where until I was setting up the Ultra and noticed the old mark on the tarp.

Edit: Just found my old patch kit with some blue intex liner in it. The gray liner is slightly thicker and a lot stronger. Gray seems to have woven fibers where as blue is just flat vinyl that pulls apart very easily.

From reading a lot about putting up and taking down pools (and experience) the pinholes can come from simply moving the liner around. After the pool has been up a while, the liner often become less flexible/brittle. Also, after a pool has been up, sand can get in the bottom and seal certain tiny holes. When you take it down, fold it, and put it back, the holes become visible. I had this happen. The pool was not leaking but I had to drain it to level and when I put it back up, it leaked a lot. I just threw it away and bought another. Now my motto is, once it is up, I plan to leave it alone! I have a friend who has grass grow up through his liner every year, he just pulls it out and the pool never leaks. If he takes it down and puts it back up, I bet it's going to leak.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Another 1+ on the "never buy the blue again". Ultra is so much better.

I think I read on another pool forum a long time bad the exact thicknesses of the blue vs. grey but can't find it now. As I recall it was significant. That's why I dumped the regular metal frame (which served us well) and now much more satisfied with Ultra....it just feels better.

Bob E.

From reading a lot about putting up and taking down pools (and experience) the pinholes can come from simply moving the liner around. After the pool has been up a while, the liner often become less flexible/brittle. Also, after a pool has been up, sand can get in the bottom and seal certain tiny holes. When you take it down, fold it, and put it back, the holes become visible. I had this happen. The pool was not leaking but I had to drain it to level and when I put it back up, it leaked a lot. I just threw it away and bought another. Now my motto is, once it is up, I plan to leave it alone! I have a friend who has grass grow up through his liner every year, he just pulls it out and the pool never leaks. If he takes it down and puts it back up, I bet it's going to leak.

I agree . I have had Intex pools for 6 years now. I have noticed many pin holes when setting up even though the pool didn't leak the year before. In my area we do not have problems with insects or crazy grass. All the leaks are near the edges. I think it is the liner moving around and grinding sand. Last year I patched about 40 holes when setting up the pool and it didn't leak the year before.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.