Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwash water for irrigation?

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwash water for irrigation?

I live in a desert area (outside Tucson) and have no landscaping near my pool. Since we live in an area that gets a grand total of about a foot of rain yearly, I was thinking if possible, it would be good to use backwash water to irrigate and therefore have some green stuff. Does anybody do this, and if so, what can survive the chlorine? I know it doesn't seem to kill the weeds!
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backwash water for irrigation?

I water my lawn with pool water, and it hasn't seemed to hurt it any. I don't use backwash water, but I have a DE filter. I suppose a sand filter would just be discharging the same dust that's already on the ground without adding any filter media, so it should be okay. I don't have a SWCG. I don't think a lawn would like to be salted repeatedly.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Go for it. I know chlorine doesnt affect bermuda or winter rye grass. I have Vincas in my landscape and around my pool that can survive just about anything. I even dump my salt water aquarium water on them when I do weekly water changes with no issues.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Not a problem. I run my backwash on the lawns and trees. A properly maintained pool has less chlorine in it than what many municipal drinking water systems provide from the tap. We also add salt to our water for "feel" and have noticed no adverse effect on the vegetation.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

5. Back To Top    #5

I also have a question on this, is it possible to irrigate from the backwash through a sprinkler or would the water pressure be to great if so how could i irrigate it so that the water is distributed over a larger area?

6. Back To Top    #6

No reason you couldn't hook up a sprinkler, but you wouldn't get much backwashing done...I think it would slow the flow rate down too much.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jason0046
    I also have a question on this, is it possible to irrigate from the backwash through a sprinkler or would the water pressure be to great if so how could i irrigate it so that the water is distributed over a larger area?
    Two people with cell phones is how I've done it. I hook up the backwash hose and get it in position, then call my wife and have her throw the switch while I play fireman with the hose and spray the front lawn with it. If it needs to be shut down fast, she's on the phone, and standing next to the switch.

The fibreclear didn't clump up or smell. If anything, the lawn seemed to appreciate the fertilizer.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!