Advice on new pump/filter

Mar 7, 2012
5 years ago we bought a house that came with an above ground pool...18ft x 33ft x 52 inches.
A love/hate relationship ensued and ended more on the side of hate then love. Not to mention goofs by previous
owners. Which leads me to this. 2 kids later we are going to make a good effort to make the pool as easy as possible for us. We have a couple bad spots near the skimmer and return jet that we'll patch with new metal when
we get a new liner. The pump died on us last year and I think I want to start over with sand filter but I am
feeling a little overwhelmed by size and manufacturer etc. I know I want to take advantage of the dual speed
pump, but with the pool size, I'm not sure which heyward or pentair sand dollar or tagelus would work. I've been
told I'd need the SD70 but I can't see why I couldn't use the 60. I'd appreciate any sage advice that is
out there?

Thanks.......
D

Welcome to TFP.

There's no reason the Sand Dollar SD-60 wouldn't work on a pool that size. What filter do you have now?

I'd also recommend a 1 hp 2-speed uprated pump. I like the Dynamo but that's because it's what I have.

To make it as easy as you can, spend some time reading Pool School and ask questions as they come up.

Thanks for the information. I've read the pool school and am looking forward to having a more love relationship with
the pool.

Since I'm going about looking at replacing pump by myself I've talked with pentair. They recommend a
SD70 with an 1hp 2 speed optiflow. I do have concerns (granted only from reading and other opinions) in
that you can't get your sand filter to clear the water like DE. We've had a DE and I felt it was a PITA. I don't
know anyone that has ever ran a sand based filter.

I do like the tagelus 60D with clear pro coupled with a 1hp 2speed optiflow. Pentair mentioned the optiflow would
do 65gpm and the Tagelus is rated at 60gpm. Does 5 gpm make that much of a difference when vacuuming and such when the pump is on high speed? I'd imagine most of the time the pump would be on reduced speed.

As far as my setup pentair based it on, I anticipate 1 1/2" direct flex line from skimmer to pump. Then pump
to filter, then filter to 1 1/2" return jet. I'm not looking to do anything sexy...just keep it easy.

Appreciate any feedback!!
D

You'll be running the pump on low most of the time and when you're vacuuming the vac will introduce enough extra total head to lower the flow significantly lower than the 65gpm it's rated for. Running it 5 gpm more than rated won't hurt anything either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.