Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick question, what does this line mean?

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick question, what does this line mean?

[attachment=0:741a6dm1]Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains • Chemistry 201 • Trouble Free Pool-1.jpg[/attachment:741a6dm1]

"Put the filter back on filter and leave it on 24/7." in Ascorbic Treatment of Pool sticky (Chemistry 201)

Can someone explain what exactly that means? Even reading the whole post (trying to figure out the context the above line is in), it doesn't make sense.

I just want to do the treatment perfectly and am worried that the comment about "filter" has to do with sequestering agents, but I can't be certain.

Thanks in advance.
    Florida-style enclosure (lanai) housing 18,000-gallon outdoor in-ground salt pool/spa, PeebleTec finish. Spa water waterfalls into pool. Hayward model 17502 cartridge filter system, Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar Variable-Speed Pool Pump. One skimmer, Baracuda Zodiac MX-8 cleaner. Palm Harbor, Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quick question, what does this line mean?

I believe it means that the valve/valves should be set back to the "filter" position, from the "circulate" position. When valve is set to circulate mode your filter media is not used. Circulate position is also know as "bypass" on some setups.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! So it's filter vs circulate, I see..

Sorry, I'm still learning - if I recall correctly there's a valve that handles how much is being suctioned through our dedicated skimmer line, vs the pool drain.

If everything is going to the pool drain, is that "circulate", or "filter"? Because I imagine everything's still going through the filters anyway at my pool controls area anyway?

I was going to do the treatment while running my pool in the usual mode, which is water going into dedicated skimmer line, going through our pool controls system area, then back into pool through returns, until I learned that we're talking about two different modes, "filter/circulate" - is this a critical step or can I just do the treatment running in my usual mode?
    Florida-style enclosure (lanai) housing 18,000-gallon outdoor in-ground salt pool/spa, PeebleTec finish. Spa water waterfalls into pool. Hayward model 17502 cartridge filter system, Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar Variable-Speed Pool Pump. One skimmer, Baracuda Zodiac MX-8 cleaner. Palm Harbor, Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

good morning,

If you post a couple of pics of your pool equipment, it is usually pretty easy to walk you through what everything does.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Here you go
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Well, I can't see the one thing I was hoping to see....the valve that controls your filter. It will either be a push-pull valve or a valve that has a rotating handle.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks like it's a cartridge filter so there won't be a valve. They'll have to take the cartridge out to circulate and not filter. Then put it back to filter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Looks like it's a cartridge filter so there won't be a valve. They'll have to take the cartridge out to circulate and not filter. Then put it back to filter.
    Ah, that makes sense now. So I simply take the cartridge filter out while circulating. Thanks all!