Easytouch System; What's a Fair Price to Pay?

I'm considering putting in a Pentair Easytouch system for our pool, and am wondering what a fair price is for everything I'd need. Correspondence with Pentair says I need the following Pentair part numbers:
(Above is an Easytouch 8 w/IC-20, one valve, one valve actuator, Screenlogic kit, and wireless adaptor).

I've received prices from both inyopools.com and poolsupplyunlimited.com, and both are pretty close...both around $2550 for everything including shipping.

Conversations I've had with local pool supply stores tells me they've installed them before, but won't install anything that wasn't purchased from them.

My pool builder says they've never put one in, but would only charge me the cost of the electrician, which they say is $400. Note that they would keep the Autopilot DIG-220 and Pentair Intellibrite controller, so they'd be doing a "swap out", essentially. My only concern is they've never put one in, so I'm a little hesitant to go with them on this.

Does anyone have any advice on what a fair price would be from one of the local pool supply stores that HAVE installed these systems before?

I'm in the process of having a fiberglass pool installed. After much research I ordered all Pentair products (EasyTouch, Intelliflo, Prowler, and Clean&Clear Plus) from Pool Supply Warehouse. I previously had sent a list of p/n to 5 online companies. PSW was the best deal, no hassle, and everything received within a week.

Gunnert, will your pool builder be installing the equipment you ordered from Pool Supply Warehouse? I just checked their web site, and Pool Supply Warehouse doesn't have any of the equipment I'm looking for.

Since nobody's commented (yet) on what I should have to pay for this equipment from a local pool supply store, I guess I'll be ordering it online and having my pool builder install it (even though he admits he's never installed one before).

I was hoping that, perhaps, someone in the industry could offer advice on what a fair markup is, but I can appreciate it might be a sensitive topic. (I only asked because the equipment price I got from one of the local stores was around $1000 more than buying online).

Bk...regarding the IC-40 over the IC-20, I'm thinking that, since our pool's only 12,000 gallons, the IC-40 adjustment settings might be too coarse. Do you have any experience that might show otherwise? If so, it's not too late to change my order.

mhosborn said:
Bk...regarding the IC-40 over the IC-20, I'm thinking that, since our pool's only 12,000 gallons, the IC-40 adjustment settings might be too coarse. Do you have any experience that might show otherwise? If so, it's not too late to change my order.

Since your getting the Easytouch, you can adjust it in 1% increments. The IC-40 will last longer since you wouldnt run it as much. I have an IC-40 on a 14,000 pool.

For an IC-40 and easytouch box, installed, mine was ~$1,600. That didnt include running the power out to the ET box. Since your wanting the Screenlogic, wireless remote, etc, i would think $2,500 isnt too bad for an online price. But, that online price is higher than what a builder's cost would be, so there would be a markup beyond the $2,500. How much I wouldnt know exactly.
I'm also not sure why they want to keep the autopilot controller. The ET box controls everything you want, including the IC20/40.

bk....I guess I wasn't clear about the Autopilot. They will remove the Autopilot and take that with them....Basically, they're going to use the Autopilot as their fee for installing the ET (beyond what their electrician does).

Ours is a small builder, and he buys from the local pool supply stores for his equipment. While I know he gets a discount from the pool store, I've no idea how deep that discount is. I do know that when I got a price on the equipment from the pool store he buys from, the difference between their price and online was HUGE. In fact, my builder suggested I buy online, as he said his cost is higher than what I'd pay online.

Knowing the Easytouch can be adjusted in 1% increments, it only makes sense to get the IC-40, as the initial difference in price between the Easytouch w/IC-20 and the Easytouch w/IC-40 isn't much...so that's what I'll do. Thanks for the advice!

I installed my EasyTouch panel (power was close by). I hung and wired it a couple of days ago with help from the posters on this forum. Every question I had they were able to answer and did so almost IMMEDIATELY! My PB had no problem with me ordering components online. I went all Pentair (pump, filter, panel, cleaner) partly because when you buy them together the warranty is extended to 3 years vice one year (have to make sure they are all on same invoice).
Cost for the EasyTouch (520593) w/ IC40 was $1036.00. I spent an additional $150 on 6awg wire (8'), conduit, GFCI outlet for panel, 20 240v GFCI (pump), 15 amp GFCI 120v for pool light, etc....

I've decided I will, in fact, be purchasing what I need online. I (finally!) got a price from a local pool supply store, and they said the ET8 w/IC-40 would cost me $3100. It appears to me an AVERAGE online price for this unit (520705) is around $1700. Another example is the 520639 Wireless kit...online cost is around $450 or so...the pool supply store wants $750.

The only advantage I see to going with a local store is that warranty claims would be made directly to them...buying online I'd have to go with the online company I purchased from or directly to Pentair.

I just can't justify price differences that drastic!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.