new with a gross pool

Mar 7, 2012
La Porte In
hi i am jill from indiana, we bought our dream house this past jan.

along with it is an above ground 24 ' round pool.... when we bought the house the tarp was in tatters so we picked a cheap one up til spring when i could shop around and learn to care for the pool.

well come to find out the pool has been uncovered for five years!
in all honesty i wanted to drain and get a new liner. husband refuses to give up so easy because it still holds warer...and hed have to pay for it lol

so here I am mrs. grosspool in indiana... we have had nice weather and the pool being blk and green
really bothers me so i picked up the net... duhhhh it fell apart! should of been a give. lol
so i went got a new one and on impulse i grabed some algae stuff.

but because im noob to pools i thought i best read up on what im dumpin in here so i know..

i read and read and seemed like i got no new info that my lil sis has already told me!

then i found this site yesterday :)

i have been reading for days. i wanted to register just so i could tell you guys THANK YOU!
pls know that this site has helped me in the two hours i spent reading it than the month i been picking around and grasping tid bits of info here and there!

so my hope is that with hour knowledge i have gathered my pool will once again shine as i have been told it once did lol im sorta disbelieving it right now tho lol

yes i am to have certain info in my profile and siggy and as soon as i learn it i will add it i so just wanted to express how helpful you all have been !!!

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

It holding water is a good thing. Once you've made sure all the equipment is on good shape, invest in a good test kit and stock up on lots of bleach. More than you ever think you'll need. There'll be lots of scooping debris out before you begin to "shock" your pool. And it'll get to where you think you'll never see the end of it. But hang in there and you'll be rewarded for your effort with a sparkling pool that's a joy to maintain.

thanks i been scooping all day before i wasted my algae stuff thanks to your site. like i said the info here was a tremendous help and my hands and back ache for sureeee

and i am an extreme couponer / pricematcher i had a life time supply of bleach before the pool lol and glad i
did!

once again i cant thank you guys enough for the info here. I was about to pay someone to do it for me I have new found hope now! thanks again and back to scooping the tumble weed out lol (sooo not kidding)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i got the before but i think the after is a bit off just yet but i will share since my new found knowledge has a lot to do with u guys this forum is awesome i think every question i found the answer to with hardly any effort this forum rocks :) i know i said it a lot but i was so lost before i found u guys! i now have an attack plan! lol
love love love it :)