Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new with a gross pool

1. Back To Top    #1

new with a gross pool

hi i am jill from indiana, we bought our dream house this past jan.

along with it is an above ground 24 ' round pool.... when we bought the house the tarp was in tatters so we picked a cheap one up til spring when i could shop around and learn to care for the pool.

well come to find out the pool has been uncovered for five years!
    in all honesty i wanted to drain and get a new liner. husband refuses to give up so easy because it still holds warer...and hed have to pay for it lol

so here I am mrs. grosspool in indiana... we have had nice weather and the pool being blk and green
    really bothers me so i picked up the net... duhhhh it fell apart! should of been a give. lol
    so i went got a new one and on impulse i grabed some algae stuff.

but because im noob to pools i thought i best read up on what im dumpin in here so i know..

i read and read and seemed like i got no new info that my lil sis has already told me!

then i found this site yesterday

i have been reading for days. i wanted to register just so i could tell you guys THANK YOU!
    pls know that this site has helped me in the two hours i spent reading it than the month i been picking around and grasping tid bits of info here and there!

so my hope is that with hour knowledge i have gathered my pool will once again shine as i have been told it once did lol im sorta disbelieving it right now tho lol

yes i am to have certain info in my profile and siggy and as soon as i learn it i will add it i so just wanted to express how helpful you all have been !!!
    La Porte In
    24' round AG odyssey trendsetter swimline
    15,292 gallons (ITHINK) (will confirm this after its not a swamp)
    zodiac pacer 1500 pool vac
    zodiac nature2 pro A plus AG sanitizer
    filter - voyager swimpro by hayward pool products

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new with a gross pool

Welcome to TFP.

It holding water is a good thing. Once you've made sure all the equipment is on good shape, invest in a good test kit and stock up on lots of bleach. More than you ever think you'll need. There'll be lots of scooping debris out before you begin to "shock" your pool. And it'll get to where you think you'll never see the end of it. But hang in there and you'll be rewarded for your effort with a sparkling pool that's a joy to maintain.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks i been scooping all day before i wasted my algae stuff thanks to your site. like i said the info here was a tremendous help and my hands and back ache for sureeee

and i am an extreme couponer / pricematcher i had a life time supply of bleach before the pool lol and glad i
    did!

once again i cant thank you guys enough for the info here. I was about to pay someone to do it for me I have new found hope now! thanks again and back to scooping the tumble weed out lol (sooo not kidding)
    La Porte In

4. Back To Top    #4

Some inspiration: before-and-after-t38780.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to the forum Jill
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

richard our before pics are the same color lol and im glad there is a reward in the end i hope mine looks that good!
    La Porte In

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Let us know how that "life time" supply of bleach holds up! That's a big pool to clear, but you'll get there. Welcome.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

9. Back To Top    #9

my guess is after today is that it will no last to make the pool clear i will be buyin more lol and thanks for the welcomes
    La Porte In

10. Back To Top    #10

Remember the pics. Before, during and after
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Welcome and good luck with the project! We would love to see before and after pics!

12. Back To Top    #12

i got the before but i think the after is a bit off just yet but i will share since my new found knowledge has a lot to do with u guys this forum is awesome i think every question i found the answer to with hardly any effort this forum rocks i know i said it a lot but i was so lost before i found u guys! i now have an attack plan! lol
    love love love it
    La Porte In