Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: peeling pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

peeling pool?

Hi

I don't own a pool, but have a question regarding pools.

I am currently taking lessons at a instructor private backyard pool, I am not sure when the pool was built but the house was built in the 30s and renovated in the 50s

After the 1st lesson, my hands and feet are stained blue from peeling plaster? on the bottom/sides. I been trying to get the blue stain off and it doesn't seem to be coming off completely. Should I be concerned about this as I'm not sure what materials/chemicals is in the stuff and I don't need any health issues down the line.

thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: peeling pool?

Welcome to TFP.

I have never heard of the problem that you describe. Plaster is pretty inert and I doubt that you would have much to worry about if this was due to plaster. I wonder if perhaps this is due to pool paint and not plaster. Still seems unusual though.

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like chalking paint to me. Take some mayonaise and rub on it and see what happens. Goo gone will probably take it off.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree that it is probably paint.

5. Back To Top    #5

Take some mayonaise and rub on it
    Seriously? This is awesome. Why have I never heard of this?
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

6. Back To Top    #6

You'd be surprised what Mayonaise will remove. It's the combination of fat and lemon juice that does the trick. It won't take everything off but it doesn't harm anything to try it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I use GoJo. I carry a few containers in my truck everywhere I go. lol

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    You'd be surprised what Mayonaise will remove. It's the combination of fat and lemon juice that does the trick. It won't take everything off but it doesn't harm anything to try it.
    And I have learned something here today. I grovel before you sir. I am not worthy.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

9. Back To Top    #9

Ah thank you for the suggestion. I will try Mayonaise to see if it can get it off more.

if it is chalking paint, do I need to worry lead content or anything harmful since I'm in that pool a couple times a week?

10. Back To Top    #10

I wouldn't think it'd be old enough for there to be lead in the paint but it would be prudent to ask how long ago it was repainted.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator