Ducks in our pool

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
Yesterday morning we looked out the window and there were two wild ducks in the pool. We watched them for about 15 minutes and then they flew away. I would like to have more ducks visit us. What can we do to make the pool more attractive to ducks?

TomAtlanta said:
Yesterday morning we looked out the window and there were two wild ducks in the pool. We watched them for about 15 minutes and then they flew away. I would like to have more ducks visit us. What can we do to make the pool more attractive to ducks?

Basically, you would quit putting chlorine in it, let it turn green, and add some fish.

This happened to us last year and had some issues due to them coming back, I put the solar cover on for a couple of days and let the dog out :)
Don't let them stay, they will foul up the water, I couldn't believe how much those things poop???
It was all over the pool.

The ducks were back this morning. After reading the posts here I am now concerned about duck poop in the pool. There are only 2 of them and they only stay for about 30 minutes. Is that enough to be a sanitation problem? What should I do to keep them away?

Atlanta Wild Animal Rescue Effort
Address: 4158 Klondike Rd, Lithonia, GA 30038
Contact - Linda Potter
Phone - (404) 395-2428
Website http://www.awareone.org
Mission Statement: Committed to the preservation and restoration of wildlife and its habitat through education and wildlife rehabilitation.
Description: AWARE is operating a wildlife center that offers eduction to the public concerning environmental stewardship, habitat preservation and restoration and wildlife

OR

a nice recipe for roast duck home made plum sauce and green onions

Highlandreef said:
This happened to us last year and had some issues due to them coming back, I put the solar cover on for a couple of days and let the dog out :)
Don't let them stay, they will foul up the water, I couldn't believe how much those things poop???
It was all over the pool.

I see what you did there... Well played! :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've seen ducks land in my neighbours pool, it's a challenge for them to hit such a small spot. If they keep landing in the pool from the same side perhaps you could put something up that obstructs their path, if they have to keep aborting they'll probably move on.
Don't feed them either, make life hard for them, scare them off as soon as you see them and they'll probably move on.

TomAtlanta said:
The ducks were back this morning. After reading the posts here I am now concerned about duck poop in the pool. There are only 2 of them and they only stay for about 30 minutes. Is that enough to be a sanitation problem? What should I do to keep them away?
I'd try 3"#5 heavi shot. That should do it!

Posted by JohnT on another similar thread....

Get some cheap, heavy fishing line and run it back and forth above the pool in a zig-zag pattern. Connect it to trees, fences or whatever. If you can put it high enough, you don't have to worry about walking into it.

It makes the ducks feel like they are trapped, because they know there is something up there that could keep them from flying away if they are scared.

Eventually, they will get tired of trying to land around the line and will leave.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.