Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pipe in pool deck

1. Back To Top    #1

Pipe in pool deck

Has any one run pipe in your pool deck to use the heat on sunny days to help heat pool? New to FTP and about to do a DIY 20x44 IGP.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pipe in pool deck

I have never done so. It is a very feasible idea as long as you have A LOT OF PIPE. Bridging the expansion joints in the concrete would cause you some issues but nothing that couldn't be worked out, I bet.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Pipe in pool deck

No different than heating a slab with radiant. It's a **** good idea!
    16 x 42 x 24 IG Vinyl True-L, 27,000 gallons, full width steel steps, 8' Cuddle cove swimout, 2 X Colorlogic 4.0 LEDs, Hayward Tristar 1 hp 2-speed pump, Hayward SwimClear C3025 Cartridge filter, Hayward Aqua-Plus PL-PLUS Controls + Chlorination, Hayward low-Nox 400K BTU heater, Tigershark QC, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    16 x 42 x 24 IG Vinyl True-L, 27,000 gallons, full width steel steps, 8' Cuddle cove swimout, 2 X Colorlogic 4.0 LEDs, Hayward Tristar 1 hp 2-speed pump, Hayward SwimClear C3025 Cartridge filter, Hayward Aqua-Plus PL-PLUS Controls + Chlorination, Hayward low-Nox 400K BTU heater, Tigershark QC, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Re: Pipe in pool deck

Quote Originally Posted by BigJD
    http://www.vlietstrabros.com/newsletter.htm
    Very interesting!

Sent From My Inspire 4G Using Tapatalk
    18x36 Vinyl IG ~27,000 gal, Intelliflo VF Pump, 300# Sand Filter, Polaris 280 w/Pentair Booster Pump, Pentair EasyTouch w/ IC40 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

If that works would it cool the deck to then?
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

It should work just like a heat pump transfering heat to pool and cooling the deck at the same time. Now i just need to figure out what pipe will work best. The link helps a lot.

8. Back To Top    #8

Pipe in pool deck

Np. Check out pex supply online. This approach probably makes sense with concrete decks. Not so much with pavers.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by BigJD
    Np. Check out pex supply online. This approach probably makes sense with concrete decks. Not so much with pavers.
    I second this ^

PEX would probably handle the expansinon and shrinkage cycles better than metal pipe or pvc. If you really want the most bang for the buck you could use black integral color in the concrete. You'd get 3'rd degree burns in the summer but the efficiency of your system would go through the roof.

Keep us updated if you decide to implement this.
    22 x 36 In Ground Vinyl - 23K Gal - Saltwater - Tara Liner
    1hp 2-speed Hayward Super Pump, Hayward 6060 Booster Pump
    Hayward SwimClear C3030 Filter, Hayward 400Btu NG Heater
    Hayward Aqualogic PS-4, Polaris 280 Cleaner, ColorLogic 4.0 LED

10. Back To Top    #10

11. Back To Top    #11

I really doubt you would see much, if any change in water temperature with this kind of thing. It takes a tremendous amount of BTU to raise a body of water even 1 degree. A 20,000 gallon pool will take ~166,000 BTU to get one degree of temperature rise. There's no way pipe under a deck will transfer that much heat to get even 1 degree before that 1 degree is lost to the ambient air. Save your money for a heater
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

12. Back To Top    #12

We're doing an idea like this this year as we speak. We're taking 100' of black pipe and coiling it in a plexiglass covered box. Then hooking it to the pool as normal. We did this a few years ago and besides a few leaks it worked well for heating up the pool. That is until a tree fell on it.

http://ffaat.pointclark.net/blog/archiv ... eater.html

13. Back To Top    #13

years ago I built a solar heater for my first hot tub. 100' of 1/2 polyethylene under an old window, using a aquarium/fountain pump. actually got too hot a few times. drawback was cooling on cloudy days. I left it off on a cloudy day that turned sunny and my pipes blistered and leaked and my glass cracked from thermal shock! Under the deck looks way more elegant than most solar heating. Anytime you have a good temp diff you can heat something. Concrete in the sun well over 110 degrees, also because of its mass has lots of thermal storage, here sidewalks stay warm to touch until after midnite!
    When the only tool you have is a hammer everything starts looking like a nail.
    Doughboy 16x24 "Aboveground Inground" in progress...