Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Long solar temp sensor wire ???

  1. Back To Top    #1
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Tucson, AZ

    Long solar temp sensor wire ???

    Planning on putting a controller on our solar system. House is ~75' from equipment pad so the 15' 20GA wire that seems typical for the temperature sensor is obviously not going to work.

    In the Hayward manual I see the note "For long runs or runs near other electrical wiring use shielded cable (Belden 8428 for outdoor use)". A quick Google reveals that 8428 is a shielded 18GA twisted pair typically used for audio microphones and a 100' length is > $300 That seems a bit excessive for a $20 sensor. Unfortunately, there is really no good place closer to the pad.

    I understand that there is more resistance as the wire gets longer but is this really necessary?

    Does anyone out there have a sensor run close to 100' and what kind of wire are you using?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Lershac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA

    Re: Long solar temp sensor wire ???

    Just do a google shopping search for 18 Ga Shielded twisted pair, and you will find plenty of sources MUCH cheaper than that


    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    SouthWest Alabama

    Re: Long solar temp sensor wire ???

    The reason it calls for the 8428 is that it has a braided shield. Most shielded cables use a foil shield or are not 100% shielded. Do you need a braided shield? You don't really know until you've installed it and you have problems. If you're not running it in close proximity to AC power I'd say the foil shielded would be fine.

    Most electrical supply or industrial automation houses carry twisted shielded pair cable. 16 or 18 awg will be fine. Whichever they normally carry in stock.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts