Sand Filter Size

woods780

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 8, 2011
I am planning to replace my sand filter. Pool & Spa Depot installed what I guess is their house brand 300# filter with top mounted valve and 1.5 HP single speed pump and it has never done a good job, especially after the first year (it's about 5 years old now). I've tried new sand but I still get a large amount of dirt getting through the filter.

My question is about the size. I would like to spend as little as possible just like most people, but I don't want any regrets. My pool is about 27,500 gal so it looks like the 24" Hayward is large enough, but should I go larger? Hayward also has a 27" with top mount valve (current filter is also top mount) for just a few bucks more.

Any advice is appreciated.

If you're not happy with the sand filter you're likely not going to be happy with another sand filter. If there's something wrong with the one you have it will be much cheaper to fix it than to buy a new one. If there's nothing wrong with it then a new one isn't going to filter any better than the one you have.

Having said that, You may want to look into a DE or a cartridge filter as they both filter finer stuff than a sand filter. Though most people can't tell the difference.

If they sized a 24"/300lb sand filter, it really don't see an issue with that. You may need to change the 1st inch or two, about 50 lbs worth of sand.

What I really would like is some additional history. How long you have been running each day, what chem levels were tested, what did you use for testing, etc... as these are more relevant and likely the cause of your problems. I would hate to see you you spend money you don't have to on it. Taking your significant other to a nice dinner might be a better investment. :party:

Scott

I agree with Bama and PGNJ, i would fix before it before buying new.
woods780 said:
I've tried new sand but I still get a large amount of dirt getting through the filter.
Can you see the dirt at the pool return or is your water just not as clear as you feel it should be? Any chance the valves spider gasket needs replacing?

Last summer I tried to find parts thinking I might be able to replace the laterals and/or valve or gasket (can't remember what brand it is right now. I'll have to look tonight). The only information I found online led me to believe that it was no longer made. I couldn't find any available parts.

There is visible dirt on the bottom of the pool. I am getting a large amount of dirt blowing back into the pool when I vacuum. The only way to get rid of it is to vacuum to waste and it returns a few days later. The water runs clear, probably very quickly (probably 10-15 seconds) after switching to backwash.

Last season I installed a timer and ran it 10-12 hrs per day. The previous 4 seasons I ran it 24/7. I've been having this issue since about half way into the first season. Last year I bought the TF100 kit and tested and adjusted all levels weekly as needed. I tested chlorine about every 3 days and it held fairly stable with the SWG.

The pool installer never showed up to teach me about the pool so I have learned through error what NOT to do. I'm pretty sure I damaged something early on from switching the valve from filter to backwash without turning it off. Especially the time it slipped and it switched to "closed" :hammer: .

I know several people that use sand filters in my area that do not have the same problems as me. One of them is my next door neighbor. Their pools are either larger or smaller than mine so I was looking for a little insight on filter size.

Thanks!

I know you said you have replaced the sand, but you might have a Channeled sand filter. You can always post some pics of what you have, including labels and I would guess someone on here can help you find the brand, parts, etc.

Also, what sand are you using. Some posters have had bad luck with some brands in some filters.

linen, I tried flushing it out late last season with no change in performance.

Well, you all have talked me off the ledge for now and I'll try to repair it first. I now remember that is a Waterway brand filter but had some trouble finding parts last year for the one I have. I'll get the model number tonight and if I still can't find parts I'll post it.

Thanks for all your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.