Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opinions sought

1. Back To Top    #1

Opinions sought

I live in South Carolina and the weather has bounced around a lot this year. It was quite warm recently, I didn't have much chlorine in the pool and the obvious result is an algae bloom. Here's my question. I don't really want to clear the pool and begin having to maintain it regularly as we won't be swimming until at least May but I'm not sure that's the best approach. I'm curious whether people think I should kill the algae now or wait until shortly before the swim season begins. To be blunt I don't want to spend money unnecessarily on chlorine nor to I feel like spending much time skimming, vacuuming and running the pump.
    20K gal, vinyl, 3/4 HP pump, Hayward sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opinions sought

Is the pool covered? If it isn't, I think you answered your own question. Wait!

If it is, then you could clean it up and raise the FC and then cover it back up and leave it till swim season. It will be easier to clean now than then, but if it's not covered you'll have to maintain it.

P.S. Unless you winterize again you'll have to run the pump if it gets below freezing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Bama Rambler. It's not covered so I guess I'll wait. It's going to be pretty thick by then!
    20K gal, vinyl, 3/4 HP pump, Hayward sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm just glad I'm not the only one in this boat. We covered our pool, yet still have a mild green mess to play in. My current plan is to take a few chlorine pucks and toss them into a bleach bottle with some holes in it. Toss them under the cover and wait till April. Then open a few weeks early to try to keep it somewhat easy on us. It's our first opening since sound the baqua swap late last year. No idea what to expect this year.

5. Back To Top    #5

I see no harm in waiting really.