Cartridges? Bags? Switch to another filter system? HELP!

Dec 25, 2011
Charleston, SC
Hi! We inherited a swamp and knew it needed replastering. SO we are replastering Thursday and now we need to learn about our equip which could not be evaluated until now. We have cartridges now...but what do folks think about the bags that go into the cartridge areas? Which cartridges do folks like? any brands we should def get and where to get them?

Are cartridges good for a big pool? Pool School says maybe not...Should we switch?

Our main goal is to be energy efficient but also economical with our chemicals.

Does anyone know of a good website for being energy efficient in pool maintenance? Thanks!

Can you post some photos of your equipment set-up?

A properly sized cartridge system will work fine with most 25,000 gallon pools. Just like any other method of filtration it must be properly sized to the pool.

A cartridge filter would be fine for your pool. I personally did not like having a cartridge filter because of the cleaning process, but plenty of people use them and like them. My ultimate nightmare would be an undersized cartridge filter because of the need for frequent cleaning, but even that could be made reasonable with spare cartridges so you could clean when it was convenient.

If your pool is in an area with a high dirt load, such as a rural area or close to a lot of trees, you may be happier with a sand filter though. I tell people that with a sand filter you don't have to set your beer down to clean it.

Here is the picture of the cartridge and then there are 2 locations where cartridges go, one about 5 feet from the other one on the deep end. Wish I could upload that pic of the pool but I can;t get it compressed enough. I think the pool is 30 years old. We def need new cartridges BUT I was thinking that instead of that maybe I should go with new filtering system. Pool is from a short sale and obviously black. Replastering on Thursday....will be blue again on Saturday. Thus, I have never used any of the equipment but have tested it to see that at least it powers on and pushes water through some of the openings under the water. Thats where I am at...About as clueless as can be!

Attachments

• catridge.JPG
    catridge.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 42
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.