Another Humming Question

sbluhm

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
I've spent some time searching posts, but still have a vexing humming question -

By the way it's a 1HP Emerson 1 speed motor, part of a Hayward Super Pump.

Couple weeks ago motor was humming; the capacitor tested bad, replaced, pump worked. A few days later I noticed pump wasn't coming on - tracked that down to a short in the wiring. I figured when I had taken the pump out, maybe a wire in the 90 degree angle at the end of the whip shorted. Replaced the wires and the whip, pump ran fine. A few days after that, I noticed it's humming again! I took the capacitor off and had it tested, it tested fine.

There is a small metal piece at the back of the motor that I can turn just fine with my hand - I thought that was the shaft? But if I take the strainer basket out and try to turn the impeller, it's really hard to turn. In fact, it seems to wiggle around in there. That doesn't seem right to me.

I've read some posts saying it could be the start switch.. I didn't see a switch when I had taken the back cover off.

This weekend I'll remove the pump, take the wet end off and see what I can see, but I was wondering if anyone had similar experiences or explanations. Am I just missing the start switch and need to look closer? Could the pump motor just be fried? Something up with the impeller causing it to not start?

Thanks for any input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.