Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting hosed in Texas???

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting hosed in Texas???

xxxxxxxxxxxx

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting hosed in Texas???

Welcome to TFP!

Most folks would get several estimates for the install. It would definitely be in your best interest to do the same. Only then can you compare apples to apples.

3. Back To Top    #3

Get multiple bids - were are you located and we can make recommendations if builders to get bids from.
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

4. Back To Top    #4

xxxxxxxxxxxx

5. Back To Top    #5

...getting them to itemize the costs helps us out too!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

I was concerned the proposal seems "overbuilt" ... Is it common for piers to be recommended in this part of the country? We did have an engineer do a soil sample but I can't understand the **** thing. Basically there is worse soil in North Texas but it's definitely not good soil. Lots of clay w/ up to 4" of annual movement. That said, it seems like a lot of steel in the proposal. But maybe that's the norm. I have no idea about the equipment that's recommended other than to say I've ready on this forum that Pentair and Jandy make good equipment.

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't know about the piers. Our pool (and home) do not have them. I still think that you are going to need more estimates.

8. Back To Top    #8

Do you know anyone in the area that had a pool installed? When we put ours in I spoke with several people who had had a pool installed and found a good installer that wasn't the highest but wasn't the lowest either. Word of mouth is a good resource.
    16 x 32 15300 gal. IG Vinyl Jandy pump, Jandy sand filter, Paramount circulation system, Automatic pool cover.

9. Back To Top    #9

#4at 6" center... Man you aren't building a pool, that's a bomb shelter. Just needs a lid.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

10. Back To Top    #10

Any thoughts on the equipment list?

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm in frisco. You are eating hosed. Just got 4 bids. Huge pool 120 perimeter. Fire pit. Avg 56 -65 depending on deck. 900 shaft do deck. All automation, pebble, iPad control, spa. I recommend BMr and clear tech in our area.

12. Back To Top    #12

We are about to get started with Hauk Custom Pools. We also live in Prosper. They are very familiar with this area so if you haven't already, give them a call. They haven't started yet so I can't speak to our person experience, but we know several people who have been very happy with them.
    32 1/2 X 19 free form gunite pool ~ oklahoma flagstone ~ 569 sq ft stamped concrete deck ~ Jandy E Pump ~ RB 320 Chlorine Sanitizer ~ UPP 15 gal Ozonator ~ 4 LED Savis lights ~ 3 ft sheer descent water feature ~ spa

13. Back To Top    #13

xxxxxxxxxxx

14. Back To Top    #14

What kind of neighborhood/subdivision do you live in? It's been my experience that PBs, and pretty much any construction company and even landscapers, will increase their bid to fit the neighborhood or the home. In a tough economy this practice may not be quite as common. In any event, you are doing right by getting several bids. And don't necessarily take the lowest bid.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Well the neighborhood has custom homes so I wouldn't be surprised if you're right about quoting to match the neighborhood. What I just don't understand is the whole "more is better" concept because I'm not an expert. I have no concept of "what's enough". The first guy quoted No 4 at 6" OC which is more steel than anyone else I've talked to uses. I'm told many PBs use less steel & will build a cheap pool because they know most homeowners move in about 5 years. I plan to be here much longer than that. So I'm stuck trying to figure out if a proposed "well built pool" is just a quality job or overbuilt and far too expensive. I'm guessing the first quote I got is overly expensive.

16. Back To Top    #16

Getting hosed in Texas???

We built with clear tech - we had a good experience but I had a friend that built with them that did not - seems to depend on the foreman you get - insist on getting Jack if you go with them. They were in the middle to low end of the bids.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?cslisr
    Steve
    Deep in the Heart......errrr HEAT of Texas
    20k gallon gunite formal

17. Back To Top    #17

Lots of structural engineers tend to go overboard with the structural, they don't want failures and they aren't footing the bill on all the extra rebar and concrete. Speaking as a contractor, not a pool contractor, it is a sliding scale, mine's pretty flat until I start going through gates by the country club or worse, guard towers! It seems funny to me that I first check in at a guard tower, drive through the gate into the subdivision of expensive houses to drive through another gate at the property. How bad are your millionaire neighbors you need a gate at the end of your driveway to keep them and their spawn off your property? Getting multiple bids is important, and vetting them from references is cheap insurance. I prefer working with smaller more personal companies myself.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer everything starts looking like a nail.
    Doughboy 16x24 "Aboveground Inground" in progress...