Intex Pool Clearance

Feb 29, 2012
Hoschton, GA
Hi Everyone. This is my first post...

How much clearance do you need for an 18' round intex? I know what the manufacturer says but what is the absolute minimum needed? My house is on a steep hill so there are very few areas where I can put a pool. My wife won't let me sacrifice any trees so I decided to go with a round intext to avoid having the side supports (such as on an oval pool) stick out into a tree.

Also, a small river cuts my backyard in half. If I put my pool near the river, is the permit inspector going to give me any trouble about draining the pool near the river?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to TFP!

I wonder if perhaps you might get some leeway since the permit guy may consider the Intex/ABG setup as temporary/seasonal and therefore, not subject to the same rules as would be an inground?

Check with your city, in my city, the intex pools are considered "nuisence" or "toy" pools and do not require permits. That said, you are best to try and follow any rules/regulations as they are for your health and saftey. Not sure what type of clearance you are looking for, for my 18' I cleared out and leveled a 20' circle. I have mine in the corner of my yard 3' from the fence on the south side and about 6' from the west side. Here is my build http://www.troublefreepool.com/planning-piping-and-questions-now-with-pics-t12625.html

Bama Rambler said:
You could probably get by with 19 feet but that's gonna be pushing it. And you're gonna have to have a place for the pump and filter.

Thanks for your input! I think 19 feet might work. The clearance issues are with trees so I'll have room for my pump. The other issue is the distance of the pool from my house. I ned to figure out a good way to get the electricity across the yard. I was thinking about burying an extention cord in pvc conduit. Can I do that?

mcoonan said:
Check with your city, in my city, the intex pools are considered "nuisence" or "toy" pools and do not require permits. That said, you are best to try and follow any rules/regulations as they are for your health and saftey. Not sure what type of clearance you are looking for, for my 18' I cleared out and leveled a 20' circle. I have mine in the corner of my yard 3' from the fence on the south side and about 6' from the west side. Here is my build http://www.troublefreepool.com/planning-piping-and-questions-now-with-pics-t12625.html

Thanks for posting! I did check with my city and they said they do not have authority and to check with the county. The county told me that I do need an inspector...mainly to make sure I don't set in on the septic tank. Also, there is the elctrical hazard. That's a beautiful build! I think I can make 20' work...I just don't want the inspector to give me trouble over the pool being so close to the river bank. It will be about 20' away...

257WbyMag said:
Welcome to TFP!

I wonder if perhaps you might get some leeway since the permit guy may consider the Intex/ABG setup as temporary/seasonal and therefore, not subject to the same rules as would be an inground?

Thanks for the warm welcome! I do hope the inspector is reasonable...maybe I can take some pictures of the proposed location and have you guys give me your opinion before I call him out to the site!

Thanks.

CSimpson said:
Bama Rambler said:
You could probably get by with 19 feet but that's gonna be pushing it. And you're gonna have to have a place for the pump and filter.

Thanks for your input! I think 19 feet might work. The clearance issues are with trees so I'll have room for my pump. The other issue is the distance of the pool from my house. I ned to figure out a good way to get the electricity across the yard. I was thinking about burying an extention cord in pvc conduit. Can I do that?

If you have to have an inspector look at things they most likely will not pass an extension cord buried in conduit. Check with an electrician and find out the cost to have a plug installed near the pool. Another option if you plan to upgrade the pump and filter, is to buy a longer power cord, and tell the inspector it will be unplugged when not in use.

zea3 said:
CSimpson said:
Bama Rambler said:

If you have to have an inspector look at things they most likely will not pass an extension cord buried in conduit. Check with an electrician and find out the cost to have a plug installed near the pool. Another option if you plan to upgrade the pump and filter, is to buy a longer power cord, and tell the inspector it will be unplugged when not in use.

Thanks for the heads up. My only problem is that the only place I have for the pool is probably a good 80 to 100 feet from the house. Having an electrician run that much wire will be very expensive...

Find an electrician that will work with you. You run the wire and they do the connections if you are not comfortable doing so. Some PVC, glue and a spool of wire is fairly inexpensive but labor intensive. Most electricians hate digging anyway! LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.