chlorine bleach PH vs chlorine generater chlorine PH

Mar 14, 2008
IF I switch to this BBB method (the chlorine bleach ,unscented , 5% approx, instead of chlorine) when i add chlorine bleach ,
to a pool with fresh drinking water will it alter the ph in any way. say i want it to be 3ppm.

forgive me as i'm too new to my swimming pool but, does a chlorine generator not making the same chlorine, as the chlorine bleach i am adding to my swimming pool - in regards to ph also?

I'm hoping that someone will say that they are identical and i can expect the similar little shift in PH like people have with the chlorine generators.

p.s. one more question - are the 100% identical or near enough identical or not really

Thanx people

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 3
Bleach is essentially PH neutral. The PH will go up some when you add bleach and then go down again by almost the same amount as the chlorine gets used up. The net effect is that the PH stays the same or drifts up very very slowly.

The chemistry of a SWG comes out much the same in all ways but one. Chlorine generation raises the PH and it goes back down as the chlorine gets used up. However with a SWG you also get hydrogen bubbles, which cause CO2 to outgas, which tends to raise the PH (unless your TA is fairly low and/or your PH is fairly high). With some effort, it is possible to balance the water to minimize, or even eliminate, this effect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.