Question about filter

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
Ok I had not backwashed in a while and the pressure was up to about 15, which is about 8 over clean filter. So I cleaned it out and it only went down about to about 10 which is not usual. Usually after a backwashing it goes down to around 5. I let my pool go so I knew I had some algae so I started the shock process. Raised my FC up to shock level and after a few days or so the pressure was back up to pre backwash and very ligh pressure coming out of the jets. So I backwashed again today to maybe get out whatever was in there and my pressure only went down to around 10 again which is 5 more than what normal was when I did al prior cleanings. When I was backwashing the water never came out dirty. It was clean from the very first backwash. I tried about 5-6 more times with backwashing and back to pump and each time the water came out clear. Every other time in the past I have seen DE come out when backwashing. After this backwashing the pool went from semi clear to cloudy. I figured that was just from backwashing and pumping into the pool. So I added more DE and there is no DE on the bottom of the pool so it does not appear there is a leak or tear in a filter. My filter is about 20 years old or so and I have it sealed off to where when next time I open it up it will need to be replaced as part or almost impossible to find. I have been to 2-3 pool stores with 1 of them being a mom and pop store and trust his judgement completely.

So does anyone have any reason why this may be happening? Do you think it may be time to replace the filter?

Thanks.

Bama Rambler said:
Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off. I'd suspect the gauge first.

Yes it drops down to 0 without a problem. Watching when I turn it off it does not delay and falls right back down to 0. I replaced the gauge about 5 months ago so fairly new. In order to replace it I would need to take it apart and that is not an option unless I want to replace the filter. I only think it may not be the gauge do to the week output from the jets which is in line with the high pressure on the gauge.

Thanks.

It could also be dead bleached out algae. That could also be the reason the filter isn't backwashing cleaner than it is. Once you pass the OCLT, it might be time to break the filter apart and give it a good cleaning.

Bama Rambler said:
It could also be dead bleached out algae. That could also be the reason the filter isn't backwashing cleaner than it is. Once you pass the OCLT, it might be time to break the filter apart and give it a good cleaning.

Well breaking it down is really not an option. I have used a ton of silicone sealant on it and last time I broke it down things start coming apart on it. So I am trying to make it last as long as I can. The only reason I think it is DE is it is very similar to last time DE got into my pool and it appears to look exactly the same. The water is getting a lot clearer and my loss is getting smaller. Last night it was around 1.5 so making progress.

Bama Rambler said:
Even if it's DE getting back into the pool you're going to have to tear it apart or replace it to ever fix the problem or it'll just keep getting worse.
What to do? :scratch:

Yea I know and that is my problem, what to do. But maybe you are right it was just dead algae. I just vacummed it all up so we shall see soon.

Well bit the bullet and bought a new filter. I added conditioner to the skimmer and soon after it was all back in the pool via the jets. So new filter is getting installed on frida Hayward C5025, wich is a step up from what I have now. Now will be easier to clean as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.