Jan 18, 2012
Tucson AZ
FC 7
CC 0
PH 7.7
TA 60
CH 375
CYA 55

I've run into a problem with my TA. This is an older pool and the PH is fairly constantly rising, which I've been fighting with MA. The pool has some moderate to severe calcium scaling perpetrated by the previous owner, so I've been trying to keep the Ph around 7.2. In addition to going through 2 gallons of acid a month doing this, my TA has fallen from around 90 to 60 over the past few months.

This has not seemed to assist with my PH rising troubles very much, maybe slightly. Even with the Ph having crept back up to 7.7 when last measured, my CSI has gone down to -8.8 with the lower TA.

Since the water temp is going to be going up soon, does this need attention, or can I leave the TA where it is? And if anyone has any theories as to why my pool is a Ph increasing MACHINE I'd be all ears as well. Thanks!

2 gallons of MA a month isn't really a lot of acid IMO. You may find that more frequent pH corrections to stay below 7.4 might actually lead to decreased use once you drive your TA down a little.

Some pools just take more acid than others. I think that you may find that your TA will probably find a point it likes and sort of hang around there as long as you keep addressing the pH rise by adding acid when needed. Mine is that way. My TA like to be at 60 ppm and tends to stay there. All I worry about is controlling the pH by adding the amount of acid that I need to add.

If your TA continues to fall to levels of 50 or below, you might consider adding borates to your pool as a secondary buffer system.

Agentbolt said:
Even with the Ph having crept back up to 7.7 when last measured, my CSI has gone down to -8.8 with the lower TA.
I am confused...CSI of -8.8, how would you get that? Using poolcalculator.com, I get a CSI of 0 using ph of 7.7, TA of 60, CH of 375, 55 cya, 0 salt, 0 borates and a temp of 80F. What am I missing/what is the problem with your CSI?

linen said:
Agentbolt said:
Even with the Ph having crept back up to 7.7 when last measured, my CSI has gone down to -8.8 with the lower TA.
I am confused...CSI of -8.8, how would you get that? Using poolcalculator.com, I get a CSI of 0 using ph of 7.7, TA of 60, CH of 375, 55 cya, 0 salt, 0 borates and a temp of 80F. What am I missing/what is the problem with your CSI?

You should be confused, my temperature was set way too low on the pool calculator. My CSI is actually only -.21. (also obviously I had the decimal point in the wrong place).

So as long as my TA doesn't dip to like 50 I'm fine?

I am not an expert on CSI (nor do I have a pool that cares too much, I have a vinyl liner) but I would not worry about your CSI too much. I wouldn't even worry about a low TA since it sounds like your pool has had problems with scaling which is on the other end of the spectrum of CSI. I would keep adding acid when needed and see where your TA ends up. With your slightly higher CH, a low TA may not be a bad thing.

your levels look fine. once there is scale the only thing you can do is have it removed. I've never found lowing the pH or using anything else in the water being able to remove the already formed scale. when we have a client who wants scale or stains removed from the pool finish we do a drain and acid wash (if pool finish can take an acid wash). Most likely you probably have scale on the tiles. This can be easily removed with pool tile cleaner and a brush without draining.

can't see pH going up much at TA of 60 but maybe pH will stabilize at TA of 50..or 55. other things like shocking a pool with CalHypo will raise pH.

I've never found lowing the pH or using anything else in the water being able to remove the already formed scale.
I think Richard320 is slowly reducing his scale by maintaining low pH.

For someone in the industry, his approach may not be practical but, remember, this is a pool owners forum and we can often use long-term techniques that folks in the business cannot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
I've never found lowing the pH or using anything else in the water being able to remove the already formed scale.
I think Richard320 is slowly reducing his scale by maintaining low pH.

For someone in the industry, his approach may not be practical but, remember, this is a pool owners forum and we can often use long-term techniques that folks in the business cannot.

This is true. we really don't have the time to do some of the time consuming fixes. we would need to live at the pool every day. what ever works.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.