Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace pool pump motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace pool pump motor

i need to replace my pool pump motor (i think) and was thinking i would try to do the work myself. Doable? Or should i get a professional. I am pretty handy and can manage most home improvement projects.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    16k gal., Pebbletech, Pentair IntelliFlo VS, Hayward Navigator, Pentair Suntouch, Sandfilter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replace pool pump motor

Replacing the motor is not too bad a job. If you're handy and have the tools, you can easily do it. You'll need a new seal too.

There's a post that outlines changing the seal on a Whisperflo. Even if yours isn't a Whisperflo it'll be close enough to help you along.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks for the tip. any idea the cost of new motor?
    16k gal., Pebbletech, Pentair IntelliFlo VS, Hayward Navigator, Pentair Suntouch, Sandfilter

4. Back To Top    #4

Without knowing what pump you have or where you're located and if it's a 1-speed or 2-speed I'd say $150 to $250. If it's not a 2-speed you should consider getting one. It'll help on your electric bill.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks again for the help. the pump motor is so old cant read the HP detail. i guess i can take apart and take to pool supply store to find out.

do impellers go out very often?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

It is much more common for a motor to go out than an impeller (but it can happen). Also, you should compare the price of a new motor (and seal) to the price of a new pump. Like Bama said, upgrading to a 2-speed from a single speed will save you money in the long run. If you take some pics of your pump, I am sure someone here can help identify it.

7. Back To Top    #7

Not very often at all. About the only time you lose an impeller is from mechanical damage.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

thanks for all the help guys. could it just be the capacitor? when i flip the switch to turn the motor on it hums for a few seconds and then kicks off. after 5 minutes this happens again until the time between "hums" gets to be significant. could this be the capacitor or is this what a dying motor sounds like.

9. Back To Top    #9

Sounds like the start capacitor. If you search Youtube for replacing start capacitor on pool motor you should find some good info.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Not very often at all. About the only time you lose an impeller is from mechanical damage.
    how about capacitor?

11. Back To Top    #11

It's pretty common to lose a cap. We see it a lot on the forum. Most "my pump is humming" threads wind up being the cap.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator