New Member Here

woohoo

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Feb 29, 2012
Collierville, TN
Hello Everyone!

Glad to be aboard. I've registered, become a Lifetime Supporter and ordered my TF100 test kit. I have read through pool school a couple of times and plan on doing it again with my wife by my side so that we can both take a more active role in pool maintanence. The pool has at times been a real chore in the past and I am convinced that performing the maintanence can be half the fun of having a pool when the optimum results are obtained!

In the coming weeks, I will be replacing all of my existing pool equipment to:

Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump
Pentair Triton II 30" Sand Filter
Easy Touch 4P Control Panel/Load Center with,
IC 40 SWG Cell

I have a Polaris 280 and booster pump already.

As a bit of history, I have been using a 1.5" Super Pump for 8 years (the pool was built in 1994, I bought the home in 2003). The latest pump gave out after two years last fall. My current TR100 is the original filter. I have a damaged lateral and a couple of small leaks. It's just time to replace it after 17 years of use! We did consider DE and Cartridge but I like the ability to backwash the pool and vacuum to waste if necessary. I know that is going to be an issue with SW and maintaining salt levels but we are willing to accept that.

Edit: I have a 33,000 Gallon IG with a vinyl liner.

Moving to salt has been a years long debate between my wife and I. Me preferring it and she not. I have convinced her that SW is our best option and can't wait to get things moving along while incorporating the BBB method.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!

I do have a couple of questions.

I have two skimmers and a floor drain coming to the pump with 1.5" plumbing. I was thinking of increasing all of the plumbing above the ground to 2". Not because I believe I will get a great boost in flow but I thought that maybe this would help the system "breathe" just a bit easier. The plumbing in the TR100 is 2". Inlet/Outlet on the Intelliflo is 2".
The IC40 cell is 2". Might not help much, but would it possibly do any harm?

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a multi port valve? Assuming I will need a 2" model I would like to know if any of you "pros" have a preference. For now I have just researched Pentair branded models.

Thanks in advance everyone! :cheers:

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Running as much larger pipe as you can will never hurt. Depending on how close you can get to the final element is the determining factor in how much good it does, but any will help a little and it certainly won't hurt.

Since you have a Triton filter I'd stick with Pentair. Make sure you get the model that matches your filter.

Welcome to TFP! Good that you bought the TF-100 kit. Having a good test kit eliminates 99 44/100% of the problems that you can have.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome!

The "gear" is starting to roll in and with any luck, I can dance between the raindrops this weekend and get something accomplished. I received the TF100 kit and after reading more on the forum decided to order the K1766 Taylor salt test kit. Definitely going with 2" pipe above ground to plumb the pumps, filter, etc.

I'm sure there are many more questions to come. Hopefully my experiences as I put this together will help me to be able to help others in similar circumstances.

Regards.

It is a big pool. 9' deep too at the deepest end. Here is a quick dimensional drawing and a pic that shows most of the pool. I'll get some better pics soon and post them on the forum.
[attachment=1:1augucz2]Pool Drawing.jpg[/attachment:1augucz2][attachment=0:1augucz2]Pool Pic 3.jpg[/attachment:1augucz2]

Attachments

• Pool Drawing.jpg
    Pool Drawing.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Pool Pic 3.jpg
    Pool Pic 3.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 130
A quick update. Got the pump, filter, Easy Touch 4p all installed and plumbed today. Fired up the Intellifo about 2 hours ago. WOW! What a nice pump! My pool "greened" up on my while the old pump was down and now we'll need to get everything moving regarding getting the water ready. I put a winter cell in for now and will install the IC 40 once the water clears and we are ready for salt.

Hey blakej. You'll be happy to know that I got the filter, pump and the 4P panel with IC40 from Pool Supply World. Got great customer service from Dylan, Kari, Amanda and Christian.

Well, back outside to check the filter pressure! Thanks everyone for suggestions. TFP has been a great resource.

Regards.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP!!

Sounds like you've made some great improvements to the pool :goodjob:

I do want to caution you to make sure the metals around the pool are 'salt - proof'. SWCGs are wonderful chlorinators, but the extra salt in the water can wreck havoc on unprotected metal (especially when 2 (+) disparate metals are involved).

I wish you an enjoyable and trouble free pool season! :cool: