stabilizer?

tmm

Jul 28, 2007
Mississippi Gulf Coast
My pool store gave me a pellet type stabilizer that I had to disolve and then add to the pool. Well 4 days later and I still cant disolve all of it. :evil: Please tell me there is another type of substance that I can add easier. I have a salt water pool. TIA
Tina

Home Depot carries some of the fastest dissolving CYA that I have ever found. It is Pool Time brand and if you put it in a skimmer sock in the pool (I use the leaf net over the edge) for about an hour, you can then squeeze the sock and help it along much faster. Normally though it still takes a few hours per pound of CYA even with the squeezing. Otherwise it may take a day or two. Also, it seems to dissolve much faster if you can break it up into smaller batches.

I once had an E-mail conversation with the inventor of Instant Pool Water Conditioner. It is a sodium salt of cynauric acid (i.e. it's monosodium isocyanurate monohydrate) in a slurry and it took him many years to get it right so that it would remain liquid (the tendency would be to separate). So this will be more pH neutral and will mix very quickly. The only downside is its price, but that is what you pay for to get convenience. The MSDS for this is here. A cost comparison of different sources of Cyanuric Acid is shown here. A patent describing a manufacturing process for this is here, but this isn't the same inventor I talked to so is probably a different process for production.

Richard

I'll try it!!! Then I'll report back here to let you know how it goes. But, before I do that, about how often do you have to add stabilizer? This is the first year opening the pool and last year we only swam for 5 weeks before it got too cold. You guys are great :-D Tina

You normally only need to add stabilizer/CYA when there has been a significant amount of water replacement. Water gets splashed out, lost to backwashing, overflow drained when rain raises the pool too high, added in the spring when opening, etc. For most people that works out to perhaps twice a year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.