Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: stabilizer?

1. Back To Top    #1

stabilizer?

My pool store gave me a pellet type stabilizer that I had to disolve and then add to the pool. Well 4 days later and I still cant disolve all of it. Please tell me there is another type of substance that I can add easier. I have a salt water pool. TIA
    Tina
    **** hath no fury like a HURRICANE!!!!
    33,000 gal. inground vinyl pool

2. Back To Top    #2
    Home Depot carries some of the fastest dissolving CYA that I have ever found. It is Pool Time brand and if you put it in a skimmer sock in the pool (I use the leaf net over the edge) for about an hour, you can then squeeze the sock and help it along much faster. Normally though it still takes a few hours per pound of CYA even with the squeezing. Otherwise it may take a day or two. Also, it seems to dissolve much faster if you can break it up into smaller batches.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Thats what my husband wanted to do with this stuff.....only he wanted to hang it from the diving board. I was wishing for a liquid form...sigh....thanks. Tina

4. Back To Top    #4
    There is a liquid form but unfortunately, it is very expensive. I think Leslies carries it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

There is this, but it is expensive. I don't know anything about it or have I ever used it. Someone else can jump in here that knows more about it than me.

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemicals ... nditioner/

also this:

http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... 30/I/12306
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I once had an E-mail conversation with the inventor of Instant Pool Water Conditioner. It is a sodium salt of cynauric acid (i.e. it's monosodium isocyanurate monohydrate) in a slurry and it took him many years to get it right so that it would remain liquid (the tendency would be to separate). So this will be more pH neutral and will mix very quickly. The only downside is its price, but that is what you pay for to get convenience. The MSDS for this is here. A cost comparison of different sources of Cyanuric Acid is shown here. A patent describing a manufacturing process for this is here, but this isn't the same inventor I talked to so is probably a different process for production.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

I'll try it!!! Then I'll report back here to let you know how it goes. But, before I do that, about how often do you have to add stabilizer? This is the first year opening the pool and last year we only swam for 5 weeks before it got too cold. You guys are great Tina

8. Back To Top    #8
    You normally only need to add stabilizer/CYA when there has been a significant amount of water replacement. Water gets splashed out, lost to backwashing, overflow drained when rain raises the pool too high, added in the spring when opening, etc. For most people that works out to perhaps twice a year.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Thankyou.......Tina