Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Booster Pump died... Can I replace ... w/ Variable Speed ...

1. Back To Top    #1

Booster Pump died... Can I replace ... w/ Variable Speed ...

My old booster pump finally died. Motor shot. My main pump is has started to squeak.

I am wondering if I can replace both with a variable speed pump to operate my pool. The Pentair variable speed pump seems that it can be cranked up close to 4hp if needed. I have a huge sand filter, which seems to part of the limiting factor from the research I have seen so far. I have no automation nor do I want to spend on stand alone automation. The on-board controls of the Pentair is right up my alley. I do have a single and two story solar system installed.

What do you recommend? I sure would love to get away from two pumps and also save some money on electric.
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Booster Pump died... Can I replace ... w/ Variable Speed

I don't mind losing the solar in order to save money on electric at this point.... I use it more during the heat of the summer to cool the pool at night than I do to heat it...

Narrow down in this order: Pentair IntelliFlo VF High Performance Pump, IntelliFlo High Performance Pump and a distant third is the Hayward Eco. Thoughts?

Are there any decent Solar Power Pumps?

Figured I am spending on electricity the follow:

Whisperflow 2HP PN 7-177476-28 (WF-28 I can't make out if the "F" is F or E or more...)
    11.2 Amps 230 V
    2.576KWH x 10hrs = 25.76 per Day x 365 9402KWH x .089 cent electric rate = $836.78 year / 12 months + $69.73 per month

Pentair Booster 3/4hp PN 7-187400-20
    6.5 Amps 230V
    1.495KWH x 10hrs = 14.95 per Day x 365 5456.75KWH x .089 cent electric rate = $485.65 year / 12 months + $40.47 per month

Yearly (Both): $1322.43
    Monthly (Both): $110.2025

Booster lasted 51 months @ estimated electrical consumption of $2063.97 (51x40.47)
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Because you have solar, you'll have less trouble from a VS Intelliflo (011018). The VF model doesn't really like the flow disruption of an empty solar panel.

If this is a booster pump for a cleaner, just run it less. If it's for solar, the Intelliflo's speed can be increased to compensate for solar activity.

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh, it's for the Pentair pressure cleaner only.

Since my posting, I closed off the pressure cleaner plumbing and purchased a Aquabot Turbo T4RC robotic swimming pool cleaner.

I watched it clean and was in awe. Scrubbed the pool so much better than I could with the brush and picked up the smallest dirt and twigs as well. The Remote came in handy to clean the spots it missed and it even climbed up and cleaned the step outs under my control. Nice...

I will go with a VF for the main pump once my current single speed 2hp Pentair fails. Hopefully not until next year or later since I just spend a grand on the T4RC.

5. Back To Top    #5

You'll be fine with a vs pump. Go for it! If you ever wanted to go back to the pressure cleaner, you could use the vs pump, but you would need to buy a cleaner like the Polaris 360 that doesn't need a booster pump.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden