Non-Pool: Help! Google search hijacked??

May 24, 2009
NoVA
Just noticed this while searching for "Florida +pool service" (without the italics) - Google only returned about 1,000 results. That didn't seem right. So I searched same w/ Bing - 73,000,000 results. Now that seems right.

Any ideas? Running an anti-spyware app now, but it ran this morning on it's automatic setting. BTW, I'm running IE 8 on Vista.

I love my Google, but if it's been hijacked, I'll have to switch to Bing.

Thanks!

Thanks, guys. I think the trouble was what both of you suggested.

Dave - No, the results didn't make sense. They were some really strange web sites. MS Security Essentials found a Java-based trojan and fixed it. Ran the search again and came up with the same number of results, but they were all normal looking.

Buford was apparently right about the syntax. A space after the + yielded ~47M results.

Breathing a sigh of relief. Tracking down and fixing malware can be a time-consuming PITA!

Cheers!

Ohm boy is right on the money. I see that Crud every day. Safe mode, tdsskiller, MBAM, and a cool how-to website... www.bleepingcomputer.com (go to the spyware removal tab).

The other cause is sometimes spyware edits your hosts file in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and inserts manual entries for google (and bing, and yahoo, and alot of other search engines) and redirects you to look-alikes that fool ya.

Glad it turned out to be a search syntax issue tho.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.