Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Non-Pool: Help! Google search hijacked??

Non-Pool: Help! Google search hijacked??

Just noticed this while searching for "Florida +pool service" (without the italics) - Google only returned about 1,000 results. That didn't seem right. So I searched same w/ Bing - 73,000,000 results. Now that seems right.

Any ideas? Running an anti-spyware app now, but it ran this morning on it's automatic setting. BTW, I'm running IE 8 on Vista.

I love my Google, but if it's been hijacked, I'll have to switch to Bing.

Thanks!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

Re: Non-Pool: Help! Google search hijacked??

Did the results make sense?
    Let the antivirus run and see what it finds.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

try putting a pace between the + and pool, it should bring your google results up to 48million; for some reason Bing doesn't recognize the +
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber

Thanks, guys. I think the trouble was what both of you suggested.

Dave - No, the results didn't make sense. They were some really strange web sites. MS Security Essentials found a Java-based trojan and fixed it. Ran the search again and came up with the same number of results, but they were all normal looking.

Buford was apparently right about the syntax. A space after the + yielded ~47M results.

Breathing a sigh of relief. Tracking down and fixing malware can be a time-consuming PITA!

Cheers!
    TF-100 test kit.

Search engine poisoning like that is likely a sign of a rootkit infection - your antivirus won't fix it. I recommend that you download TDSSKiller from Kaspersky.com and run it. Here is a direct link to the .zip file on Kaspersky's website. http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/ ... killer.zip Download the zip file, and run the tdsskiller.exe in the archive.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy
    I recommend that you download TDSSKiller from Kaspersky.com and run it.
    Ran it. No threats found, so I hope I'm in the clear.
    TF-100 test kit.

Awesome. Between that and MSSE, you should be good. Also, MalwareBytes AntiMalware is a good tool to run every now and then too. malwarebytes.org
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

Ohm boy is right on the money. I see that **** every day. Safe mode, tdsskiller, MBAM, and a cool how-to website... www.bleepingcomputer.com (go to the spyware removal tab).

The other cause is sometimes spyware edits your hosts file in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and inserts manual entries for google (and bing, and yahoo, and alot of other search engines) and redirects you to look-alikes that fool ya.

Glad it turned out to be a search syntax issue tho.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here