Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: **UPDATE** - The pool has evaporated nearly completely.

1. Back To Top    #1

**UPDATE** - The pool has evaporated nearly completely.

So it's Colorado and our humidity levels are nearly nonexistent. Combine that with the windiest winter on record and you get an empty pool by March. I've heard you can't empty a AGP this much and reuse the liner. It's gone down by 2/3s before, but not like this. I've thought about adding water, but if the liner is ruined, that would be a waste. How can you prevent evaporation over the winter like this and can the liner be saved?
    [attachment=0:ez062elh]Oliva's quilt 013.JPG[/attachment:ez062elh]
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The pool has evaporated nearly completely.

That's a leak, not evaporation. The pool was covered all winter. I don't see how wind could have done that much, nor low humidity.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Yikes! If that's evaporation and not a leak, you probably can't "prevent" it other than to keep it full by adding water.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm betting it's a leak and not from evaporation.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I truly do not believe it's a leak. This is only our 6th winter and it does it more or less every year. We've never been able to identify a leak and it really doesn't go down over the whole summer just splash out. If it's a leak, we can't find it. Would it take 7 months to leak out? Is there any trick to finding a hole in a liner while the pool is empty like this? Is it worth replacing the liner just for piece of mind?
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

6. Back To Top    #6

If you're sure it's not a leak then I suggest filling it back up. I wouldn't change it just because.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

If you're using a cover pump, then I would suspect a leak in the cover.

8. Back To Top    #8

Snow is pushing down on the cover and. Forcing the water out of the pool, then evaporating off the cover.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

9. Back To Top    #9

I'd refill it and just do a bucket test to be sure about the leak. You could check it at several levels, just to rule out a leak before it's completely filled.

As has been said, if it is evaporation, you can't stop it, unless you seal it from the atmosphere.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

10. Back To Top    #10

Let's see if you folks think this will tell Shelley N if the pool is leaking or evaporating (I have never been good at chemistry). Since CA, salt and cya only leave a pool with splash out or draining, wouldn't the concentration be sky high if the water evaporated? If Shelley has numbers around closing time, a test would reveal an increase (evaporation) or a decrease (dilution and leaking).

I can see problems with this idea, like the lack of circulation, ice, etc., but I am curious if this would work.
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Buford
    Let's see if you folks think this will tell Shelley N if the pool is leaking or evaporating (I have never been good at chemistry). Since CA, salt and cya only leave a pool with splash out or draining, wouldn't the concentration be sky high if the water evaporated? If Shelley has numbers around closing time, a test would reveal an increase (evaporation) or a decrease (dilution and leaking).

I can see problems with this idea, like the lack of circulation, ice, etc., but I am curious if this would work.
    Seems to me to be a good idea (I am not an expert)...CH might be the best measure especially if this is a vinyl pool. If this is a salt pool, that might work but measuring high enough (assuming evaporation) would be problematic. I would be helpful if the OP had good end of season numbers to compare to. I personally would avoid CYA as a gauge...I have seen strange things over the last winter here in regards to CYA "loss".
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

12. Back To Top    #12

I bet John T. has the answer. My covers have all sagged under the waterline at some point in the winter for whatever reason--snow, ice, etc. After that it's totally exposed to full sun, wind, high elevation and low humidity. I realized I was emptying the pool with a cover pump several years ago. Is this why people put air pillows under their cover--to keep this from happening? That makes sense to me now. I'm not sure how to avoid it though because when you get 3 feet of snow on a pool cover, several times a winter, something's going to get smashed.

For piece of mind I still want to check for a leak somehow. Maybe with a flashlight behind the cover at night or something like that. Now if only we can find a night over 20 degrees when the wind isn't blowing like a hurricane!
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

13. Back To Top    #13

I'd just do a bucket test.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

14. Back To Top    #14

There isn't a leak in the liner as water levels were great all summer using the solar cover when the pool wasn't being used. I think water loss is due to the winter cover sinking below water level and evaporation. Our winter covers seem to get holes in them from ice, flapping etc. every year so what is the solution to keeping as much water in the pool as possible over the winter? Do I leave the solar cover on under the winter cover?
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

15. Back To Top    #15

I would try to keep the liner from sagging in the first place. I use this one and love it.

http://www.arcticbluecovers.com/product ... /236/ci/70

16. Back To Top    #16

I love that idea!
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

17. Back To Top    #17

My pool came close to losing that much water...the leaves and water pushed down on the liner , which in turn pushed the water in the pool up and over the sides. No leak when I opened and refilled the pool. This year I am going to add a pump on the cover and try to keep leaves off, although I work out of town most of the winter so it's tuff to do...
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    sta-rite 2.18ft ,200 lb sand filter
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3

18. Back To Top    #18

**UPDATE** Re: The pool has evaporated nearly completely.

I purchased the arcticblue cover mentioned above for this winter. I give it 5 stars for neatness for sure. The cover was never hanging in/below the water after the snow melted thus never we got that awful mess one has to siphon off. It came bouncing back like new every time. It probably helped with evaporation, but didn't stop it completely as I did add water a couple times over the winter. On warm days I can hear the evaporation condensing under the cover, running to the low point and dripping back into the pool. Next year I may leave the old solar cover on over the winter to see if that helps.

[attachment=1:1a5ab9ld]Pool cover with snow.jpg[/attachment:1a5ab9ld]
    Shelley
    Denver, CO