Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool light full of tar-like substance?

1. Back To Top    #1

pool light full of tar-like substance?

Hello all,
    In my quest to make every mistake a pool owner can, I decided to replace the non-working light in my in-ground pool. I unscrewed it, got it to the surface, and saw that water seemed to have gotten into the light and wreaked havoc. I unscrewed the six screws holding the face plate and lens to the body of the light and discovered a great glob of black glop within. It looked almost like it could have had a waterproofing function, but it was massed up against the lens instead of being packed in around the hole for the wiring, which is where I imagine the fixture may have needed waterproofing.
    My question is, is this tar stuff normal, or have I discovered an old "repair"? If I'm going get this thing working again, should I try to replace the bulb (which was burnt) and gasket, or should I buy a whole new kit to be rid of the gunk altogether? Thanks for your help.
    18/20x40 free form in ground 30,000 gal gunite sand filter, 1.5 hp pump with antique Polaris cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: pool light full of tar-like substance?

Typically, there should be not glop of gunk in there. Is it slimy? It could well be something growing.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It's extremely sticky. I'm thinking maybe it was once epoxy meant to seal the back end of the fixture but it melted? There's maybe a cup of it.
    18/20x40 free form in ground 30,000 gal gunite sand filter, 1.5 hp pump with antique Polaris cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like someone spread in some mastic or something, maybe to replace a missing gasket?.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy
    Sounds like someone spread in some mastic or something, maybe to replace a missing gasket?.
    I'll bet that you are right. I certainly can't think of anything else that it would be.