Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump problem?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump problem?

Hello
    Should water being pumped into the sand filter from the pump get warm/hot the longer the pump is running? I have noticed after about 10 to 15 minutes of the pump running, the pipe running from the pump to the filter is getting hotter to touch, the pipe on the entry side also gets warm. I am turning the pump off when this happens which stops me filtering the water sufficiently to get rid of the Algae problem I also have.
    Any advice will be gratefully received
    Mike
    Regards
    Mike Court
    In ground Pool size 12m x 5m x 1.3m av
    Concrete construction with tiled base and sides
    750 Sand Filter
    1.5k Pump
    I don't have a skimmer, around the perimeter of the pool is a plastic grate above a concrete channel that directs overflow into holding tank.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump problem?

How hot is the pump casing getting?
    Is the pump making noise?
    Does the pump basket stay full of water?

Unless the pool water is pretty warm you really shouldn't be able to tell a difference whether the pump is running or not.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump problem?

hello
    The pump casing does not get as hot as the water pipe but is warm to touch, it is not making any unusual noises and the basket does not stay full of water. It is better now that I have at last got the Algae problem solved probably due to the pump not having to push as much **** through it.
    My Algae problem was solved at last by buying good Trichlor instead of cheap Chinese rubbish!!
    Thanks for all your help
    Mike
    Regards
    Mike Court
    In ground Pool size 12m x 5m x 1.3m av
    Concrete construction with tiled base and sides
    750 Sand Filter
    1.5k Pump
    I don't have a skimmer, around the perimeter of the pool is a plastic grate above a concrete channel that directs overflow into holding tank.