How to achieve weekly pool visits.

attr

Mar 3, 2012
I am now maintaining my mothers pool who lives a distance away and is not capable of doing it her self
I can only make it to her house ever 6-8 days and do NOT wish to use triclor or anything that would RAISE the CYA

Our current CYA levels are 43 ppm
and i did a 12 hour test to find we are loosing apx 38 percent of the chlorine over 12 DAY TIME hours..
this seems to be a stable trend as loss over each 3 hour period was identical.
with this data i made the following chart
10 0 hours
6.2 free cl left at 12 hours or 0.5 days
3.844 free cl left at 24 hours or 1 days
2.38328 free cl left at 36 hours or 1.5 days
1.4776336 free cl left at 48 hours or 2 days
0.916132832 free cl left at 60 hours or 2.5 days
0.56800235584 free cl left at 72 hours or 3 days
0.352161460621 free cl left at 84 hours or 3.5 days
0.218340105585 free cl left at 96 hours or 4 days
0.135370865463 free cl left at 108 hours or 4.5 days
0.0839299365868 free cl left at 120 hours or 5 days

is there any level of CYA and FCL that would allow this to work. while .5 is ok at 0 ppm of CYA its kill time is far to slow at 50 ppm

( made this php script to find cl levels at different loss percent and starting fcls)

<?php

?>
<form action="cya.php" method= "POST">

<input type = "text" name ="start" value="starting fcl" size= "20">

<input type = "text" name ="disa" value="disapation in percent" size= "20">

<input type = "text" name ="times" value="interval for disapation in hours " size= "20">

<input type = "submit" name="submit" value ="click to calculate">
</form>
<?php

//////////

$hours=0;
$start= mysql_escape_string($_POST["start"]);
$disa = mysql_escape_string($_POST["disa"]);
$times= mysql_escape_string($_POST["times"]);
$disa=(100-$disa)/100;
echo $start." 0 hours

</p>";
while($start>0.1){

$start=$start*$disa;
$hours=$hours+$times;
$dayss=$hours/24;
echo $start." free cl left at ".$hours." hours or ".$dayss." days

</p>";

}

?>

A chlorinator or Stenner pump could keep the chlorine in line for a week at a time. Remember that chlorine demand is going to go way up as the days warm.

But think long term. If mom isn't able to do any pool maintenance then there are orher household chores she can't do also? Is it time tohave a difficult conversation about downsizing?

CYA can get over 100 before causing too much trouble. Tabs might be a good temporary solution.

Thats no fun! This has become a science project for me now. and MY OCD means i must make it work
without the use of floaters or anything else.

just liquid CL
cya
acid
bakingsoda
and borate

ordered enough borate to bring her pool to apx 40-50 ppm and am thinking this will help with algae and further reduce CL loss due to non UV related causes.

I am going to run over in the AM to get a true 24 hour reading since so far i only have daytime 12 hour reading i am hoping that 12 hour night will have much less loss. ( 12 hours was about 38 percent loss and im hopping for a total 24 hour loss of 45-50) as i can make this work.. 16 ppm (little less then 2 gal of CL ) will reduce to .5 ppm at 5 day. if my math and logic are sound.

and i did a 12 hour test to find we are loosing apx 38 percent of the chlorine over 12 DAY TIME hours..
this seems to be a stable trend as loss over each 3 hour period was identical
You don't say where you live, but chlorine usage will easily triple in the hot summer months.

Chemgeek has a few really good charts regarding CYA and chlorine extinction in this thread. There are diminishing returns for higher CYA but I found that running at 80 ppm gives a bit more protection than 60 ppm.

Also, as an alternative, it is possible to properly run a pool on trichlor tabs. If the pool has a sand filter and requires frequent backwashing and/or removing water due to rain, the CYA level will not climb as fast and may even remain stable at some point. It just requires monitoring the CYA level to make sure it doesn't get too high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmm most I found in the 60-75 range only did Chem or If they did clean they charged for chem

But still question remains how do they get away with once a week?
I see most of then only use liquid cl or dry never any of the "pucks"

What do you guys think about adding a phosphate reducer such as pool perfect in this situation? It seems the pool will not have much load if any and it would help eliminate the algae food. The sanitation might not be perfect but it might help control an algae outbreak if the FC gets low.

There are some services in Arizona that do weekly visits with great success, using chlorine gas and very high CYA. The CYA is maintained >100, and each week the pools get injected up to somewhere around 20 ppm FC, which is high enough that there's still some left at the end of the week. I don't see why the same thing wouldn't be possible using bleach.

Still, I think an SWG would be an easier solution.

According to all the charts retention seems to cap out at 99 percent an hour for any cya above 60 .

After talking with some pool guys who do weekly maint
I think I will go with 50 cya and bring the pool to a cl level that leavs
0.1-0.5 ppm for the next week

I am having fun experimenting . Yesterday for example only had 10 percent cl loss for the whole 24
Hours

I'm suprised noone suggested this. Using an SWG would work and you don't have to add any chlorine. The only thing I add regularly is Muriatic acid since my pH climbs with a waterfall. I could easily maintain my pool once a week with my SWG during the summer.

attr said:
I think I will go with 50 cya and bring the pool to a cl level that leavs
0.1-0.5 ppm for the next week
I would aim for higher than 0.5 for your FC droop. Poolcalculator gives me 4 as a minimum at 50 ppm CYA. Is the pool being used during the week? I am thinking if you have no bather load, maybe a cover and also no organics (leaves, pollen, etc.) getting into the pool, you might be able to get by with a lower FC.

By the way, I third the vote for a SWG.

Ok I will look into a swg however I think my point of .5 ppm was missed this would not be the value all week just when I return. It would be about 1 ppm the day before 2 before thy and 4 before that again just talking about loss to uv

attr said:
Ok I will look into a swg however I think my point of .5 ppm was missed this would not be the value all week just when I return. It would be about 1 ppm the day before 2 before thy and 4 before that again just talking about loss to uv
I still feel that is to low of a droop. I would shoot for something higher, especially if there are no swimmers during the week...by the way you haven't answered that question, will there be swimmers in the middle of the dosing cycle? If there are swimmers, then it is more of a balancing act and even more of a candidate for the swcg or liquidator.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.