Heat/Cool pump, Aquacal or Pentair?

Jon F

Mar 3, 2012
We are located in Scottsdale, AZ, and are planning to install a heat/cool pump to extend the pool season (in ground, ~16k gallons). The pool company recommended Pentair 120 R HC or Aquacal SQ 121. We looked at both units and did not see a significant difference in specs (COP, BTU, refrigerant, compressor, noise level, price). Aquacal offers a great warranty in FL but not in AZ which concerns us as they might have concerns regarding the reliability of their units in our climate. They offer an extended warranty at ~$500/3 years which is quite expensive. Pentair would allow us to tie the unit into our existing Sun Touch control system.
Insights regarding reliability and any recommendations would be appreciated.

I have an Aquacal SQ175 that's been in service for about a year. As much I am proud for finding the largest and most efficient unit on the market at a great price, it's had two repairs (leaking pressure switch assembly and a faulty circuit board) since it went into service. It was fixed, but I'm a little annoyed with the time it took to get someone onsite to fix it (~2 weeks, each event requiring several calls/emails from us), and the ~$100 service fee each time to repair under warranty. I'd probably go with a Jandy if I had to do it again.

Thanks shakenbake for sharing your experience. I am surprised that they charge a service call fee of $100 even during an active warranty period, did not read about that in any of their customer informations.

We have a parts and labor warranty, but it doesn't cover the travel charge that some warranty centers charge. This is not under our control.
It is unlikely to have a problem on start up of a new installation, and is usually as a result of transportation damage.

If you were to hear the two units side by side, there is quite a bit of difference in sound levels. The AquaCal is quieter.

Since they both have dual thermostats, there is no real advantage to being able to adjust the temp settings from your inhouse control panel.
There are no issues with operation in AZ. We have over 1000 units in the Phoenix area.

domingos38 said:
i think the $100 charge for warranty repairs is crazy and that alone will steer me clear of Aquacal

And to that point, I wish I had got an extended warranty but one was not offered to me in Texas at the time I purchased. I am very much not looking forward to continuing to repair this Aquacal if this first year is any indication of how reliable it is.

Thanks for all the input, the technical insights from Sean were helpful as noise is a key point specifically when the units will run up to 6 h/day according to the calculations we performed using Aquacal's online tool. We also learned that Aquacal now offers an extended warranty program which cost ~$495 for three additional years, which in comparison to FL where the units routinely come with 7 years warranty is a key expenditure. I will check out how Pentair and Aquacal are addressing service calls in the Phoenix area and feed back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Poolsean said:
We have a parts and labor warranty, but it doesn't cover the travel charge that some warranty centers charge. This is not under our control....

With all due respect, Sean, I somewhat disagree here. If a warranty center is approved to service your products, you should cover their travel expenses while a product is under warranty. It is aquacal's choice to allow or leave uncovered these charge.

AquaCal's have a very good reputation, I have no problem with the product at all. That said, unless the warranty terms are really clear about this, I would be infuriated at having to pay a travel charge for a warranty repair.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.