With the mild winter we've had, it looks like year two of my pool ownership may start earlier than I planned so Id like to run some ideas and changes by you that I'd like to make. Can someone tell me if these are viable or find any holes in my theory.
1. Replace single speed 1HP Mustang pump with quieter two-speed pump. Last year we ran the pump 24/7 and the electric bill jumped about $80-$100/month while the pool was open. The pump is NOT wired to the Autopilot DIG-220 wand I have no idea why this is the case. The only legitimate reason, in my opinion, is that the installer was lazy. It's currently connected to a regular ole' light switch in a box. Granted, a 220V light switch.
2. Connect pump (existing or new one) to the Autopilot and let Autopilot take over control and set it to run 12 on, 12 off or similar.
- Why isn't my pump wired to the Autopilot now? Is there something obvious I'm missing?
- How can I tell if my Aautopilot has the pump control functionality? What to look for under the hood?
- If I can hook the pump up to the Autopilot, does it make sense to buy a two-speed pump?
Thanks all! Looking forward to pool season #2!