I am having some issues with keeping my Free Chlorine levels up and I can't figure it out.
Sorry for the long post in advance, but I want to make sure I provide all the details.
My problem started this week at the beginning of the week. My free chlorine levels would be almost 0 in the mornings...basically from 0.5-1 and I normally keep them at around 4ppm
I used to use about 1 gallon of 11% liquid chlorine every week to keep that level.. and it would drop maybe 0.5-1ppm at most each day...and this was for the past couple months roughly.
Last week was the first time we ever used the pool (just moved into house few months ago, and finally got it heated with the new solar) and we used it every day for 7 days straight. I kept the levels at 3-4ppm all week..using above average amounts of chlorine which I assumed was due to the use of the pool and higher temps (84* water temp).
SO this week I check it in the morning a few days ago and it is at like 0.5ppm..so I added half a gallon to raise it up to 5ppm according to the pool calculator.
So thinking nothing of it I check it the next day and again it is only at 0.5 even less maybe. I checked it 3 times and same result every time. (and yes I have a professional Testing Kit, not strips)
So I got worried and added another 1/2 gallon, only to have same result the next day. Yesterday I realized I hadn't checked my Total chlorine levels...so I did and found them to be 1.5ppm over my free chlorine level. I thought this was bad, so I shocked the pool with 2 gallons of liquid chlorine, which should have brought it over 20ppm, and I thought that was supposed to burn off any combined chlorine (the bad chlorine is what I am told) and get my levels back on track.
Move on to today, and my free chlorine is only at 5ppm and total chlorine looks to be about 6ppm so still higher...it's like the cholrine I am using is 75% water or something, and I have used 3 different containers of chlorine so I know it's not a bad container of it...it just makes me scratch my head.
My Cya Levels are at 45ppm, and all my other levels (PH, ALk etc..) are in the correct range, so where the heck is my chlorine going suddenly?
I am going through chlorine like crazy and it's getting expensive! I am not sure what to do so figured someone here must know what I am doing wrong or what my problem is. Do I need to keep shocking it until this stops?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.