Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Conduit Requirement

1. Back To Top    #1

Conduit Requirement

Moving along, ready to hand the EasyTouch panel. I'm supplying 50 amps from the garage panel to the ET Sub-panel using 6awg. It's a short run, about 2 feet (more wire will be in the boxes than out). Is there a particular size conduit I'm required by code to use? I'm in Virginia.
    N Virginia
    -Leisure Moroccan 38' Fiberglass
    -19,800 Gallons
    -Pentair EasyTouch 4 w/IC40 Chlorinator,VS3050 Pump, Clean&Clear Plus 320 Cartridge Filter,Prowler 720 Robot Cleaner
    -1 Skimmer/ 3 Returns/2 Drains/2" Piping
    -3 Fiberstar Pal Treo LED lights/Wirtran
    -TF100 TestKit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Conduit Requirement

3/4". Use the grey PVC stuff.

Use THHN/THWN stranded wire. Red, black, white, and green. Post back if you need help wiring up the box. It's all on the inside of the ET box door, but if you need help, ask.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I "thought" I had to use 1"...

You recommend thin stranded wire, opps, I may have made a mistake. I just purchased 10' of 6/3. Each wire has about 7 wires in them. Is this ok, or will I get in trouble with the electical inspector?
    N Virginia
    -19,800 Gallons
    -Pentair EasyTouch 4 w/IC40 Chlorinator,VS3050 Pump, Clean&Clear Plus 320 Cartridge Filter,Prowler 720 Robot Cleaner
    -TF100 TestKit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnert
    Thanks, I "thought" I had to use 1"...

You recommend thin stranded wire, opps, I may have made a mistake. I just purchased 10' of 6/3. Each wire has about 7 wires in them. Is this ok, or will I get in trouble with the electical inspector?
    Not sure i understand what you bought. 6/3 should have 4 wires, black, red, white, and a copper ground. Where's the seven wires??

You need individual conductors, not bundled NM wire. And, the ground wire (green), needs to be insulated. Return the 6/3 you bought and get THHN/THWN stranded wire, #6, red, black, white, green.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Around here you'd be fine if you bought 6/3 with ground. But you need to ask the local inspector if they allow it there.

Technically you should be able to use 3/4" but I'd use at least 1" conduit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Around here you'd be fine if you bought 6/3 with ground. But you need to ask the local inspector if they allow it there.

But your in south alabama!

Around here, they'ed kill us for that. If that ground wasn't insulted connecting 2 panels, thats a red tag for sure here.
    And yes, 1 inch is easier to work with. There is a 1" knockout on the box.

7. Back To Top    #7

The 6/3 awg Lowes told me was fine does NOT have an insulated ground (green) wire. From what I'm reading here I need to return it and ask for ??
    N Virginia
    -19,800 Gallons
    -TF100 TestKit

8. Back To Top    #8

Question #2: Wiring the transformer in the ET. Can I double up on the breaker for the GFCI outlet on the panel (hate to waste a breaker on this low draw circuit)? If so, which wires go where, Black, Purple, and Yellow.
    N Virginia
    -19,800 Gallons
    -TF100 TestKit

9. Back To Top    #9

Like Bama said, it might be fine, but it you really need an insulted gound. Wiring ANYTHING for a pool requires the ground to be insulated.

If you go with individual conductors, you will find them on spools back in the electrical department. Just tell the guy back there you want THHN/TWHN, 6 gauge, stranded conductor wire. You want 10 feet of black, 10 feet of red, 10 feet of white, and 10 feet of green.

In you main panel, run the black and red off the 50 amp dipole breaker to the lugs in the Easytouch, run the white from the neutral bus bar in the main, to the neutral bar in the ET, and the ground from the main ground bus bar to the ground bus bar in the ET. Now your all powered up and can add breakers to the ET.

10. Back To Top    #10

Question #2: Wiring the transformer in the ET. Can I double up on the breaker for the GFCI outlet on the panel (hate to waste a breaker on this low draw circuit)? If so, which wires go where, Black, Purple, and Yellow.
    It's really not a good idea to wire the box transformer up to the GFCI plug. What i would do is get a tandem, 15 amp breaker. Use one for the outlet (use a GFI plug, no need for a GFCI breaker), and the other one for the ET box. That way you only use one breaker slot for 2 circuits. The ET box doesnt need a GFCI breaker.

For the transformer, black goes to the breaker, purple to the neutral bus, and put a wire nut on the yellow. (If you connected the transformer to 240VAC, the yellow is the other hot and the purmple gets capped off).

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm learning, slowly... I've never heard of a "half high breaker". Hopefully, the guys at Lowes will be able to guide me...
    N Virginia
    -19,800 Gallons
    -TF100 TestKit

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm learning, slowly... I've never heard of a "half high breaker". Hopefully, the guys at Lowes will be able to guide me...
    Ask for a 15 amp tandem. The ET box will fit several brands. I like cutler-hammer, good breakers and they fit the box.

13. Back To Top    #13

Wiring the Intellifo to the ET sub-panel, can you confirm the breaker has to be a GFCI? When I was at Lowes earlier, they didn't carry a 220 GFCI breaker....
    N Virginia
    -19,800 Gallons
    -TF100 TestKit

14. Back To Top    #14

Wiring the Intellifo to the ET sub-panel, can you confirm the breaker has to be a GFCI? When I was at Lowes earlier, they didn't carry a 220 GFCI breaker....

You can order one, or, find an electrical supply house. It's goin to run around $100.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Pentair distributes breakers for the ET equipment.

http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-owner/p ... er-428.htm
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool