Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner - Aqua Plus with Total Chemistry

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner - Aqua Plus with Total Chemistry

Hello Everyone, I recently moved into a new home with a pool and spa. I drained the pool, had it cleaned and then installed the Hayward Aqua Plus controller with the Total Chemistry kit and Acid Feed system. I've never owned a pool and really don't understand all this chemistry stuff, but I was hoping to get a somewhat "maintenance free" system. Anyway are there any proven system settings for this set up as far as controlling PH and ORP levels? The other day I was finally able to use my spa after having to replace the heater and I noticed the PH shot up immediately. The acid feed system starting pumping acid and then when I was done with the spa and the water cooled back off the PH was too low and now I'm getting "check system" warnings on the controller. I live in Phoenix, AZ if that has any effect on the settings. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
    15,000 gallon, Cartridge, In-Ground, Plaster Pool and Spa, Saltwater, Hayward AquaPlus Automated Chlorinator with Total Pool Chemistry Acid Feed System.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner - Aqua Plus with Total Chemistry

Every pool is different so you won't find any 'set it at this setting and it'll work' recommendations. Also, in and outdoor pool with CYA above about 30 the ORP has a problem. As you've found out, there are no 'maintenance free' systems. They all require some intervention from the user on a regular basis.

Most people wind up setting the swcg on a percentage and running the acid injection system. You can read a lot about ORP systems here and you'll find very few that have them working well.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the feedback. I've been looking around the forum and other places and have noticed there are a lot of issues with the ORP systems and have thought about disabling it. I'm not sure what swcg stands for, but I'm going to dig a little more into the manual and possibly make the change to percentage as soon as I understand it better.
    15,000 gallon, Cartridge, In-Ground, Plaster Pool and Spa, Saltwater, Hayward AquaPlus Automated Chlorinator with Total Pool Chemistry Acid Feed System.

4. Back To Top    #4

SWCG - Salt Water Chlorine Generator. Sorry I should have defined it in my post.
    A lot call them swg's but that's not accurate and it's just a pet peeve of mine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

It sounds like the temperature compensation on the pH probe is not work. If you just purchased the equipment new, then it should be in warranty. If that is the case I suggest that you contact Hayward for warranty repair.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dschlic1
    It sounds like the temperature compensation on the pH probe is not work. If you just purchased the equipment new, then it should be in warranty. If that is the case I suggest that you contact Hayward for warranty repair.
    That makes sense for the pH readings. I didn't know about a temp compensation. I'll give Hayward a call asap. Thanks!!!