Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Repairing plastic under water

1. Back To Top    #1

Valrico, FL

Repairing plastic under water

My pool has sprung a leak. This evening I will try and determine where the leak. However I believe that it is probably in one of the main drain fittings. When we first filled the pool several years ago, we discovered that the pool was leaking. The pool contractor found that one of the main drain fttings was cracked. He then drained the pool and repaired the fitting with some epoxy. It has held for four years.

My question is there a product I can use to fix that fitting under water without draing the pool? I believe that the plastic is PVC as it was glued to PVC pipe.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Repairing plastic under water

There are several puttys that will work under water. A+B Pool epoxy is one that comes to mind.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Exeter, PA

Re: Repairing plastic under water

A+B putty is easy to work with but it can loosen from plastic

I've have good success using plast-aid and it bonds very very well to plastic. Just mix up a large batch and wait until it gets to a paste/putty stage.
    X-Pert Pool Service
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp