Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Hayward salt and swim

1. Back To Top    #1

New Hayward salt and swim

Wanted to know if anyone has any input on these yet or if they would be a good/bad buy? Looking to change over to a SWG this spring for a 17,500 gal inground. Only can use the pool during summer months due to living in PA.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New Hayward salt and swim

I haven't seen any feedback on the Salt&Swim, so I would lean towards a Pentair Intellichlor or Jandy Aquapure Ei. Those two are a little more expensive, but (for me) the peace of mind is worth the extra upfront cost.

3. Back To Top    #3

Nothing wrong with Hayward's standard salt system (Aquarite) either. Just from a quick look at the salt&swim, if those cells actually only last 6 or 12 months, you'll spend much more in a couple years replacing the cells than you would just buying a standard size system.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm happy with my Compupool CPSC48 on my 17K pool.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

yes only looks like the cells are expected to last 6 -12 months then you got to replace them.

anyone found any info on how much chlorine they produce per day?

6. Back To Top    #6

Chlorine Production: .98 lbs/day @3000ppm

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

After playing with these and talking to the Hayward reps(who were pimping them out to everyone there!) about them at a recent tradeshow, I was all for them until I saw the costs and their cell life. Yeah no thanks! Customers will see that and keep walking.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    I was all for them until I saw the costs and their cell life. Yeah no thanks! Customers will see that and keep walking.
    Totally agree with you there! Just hope customers aren't fooled by the lower upfront cost! Defiantly would suggest paying a little more for a system and cell that will last much longer!

9. Back To Top    #9

yeah agreed. it seems like a disposable system, best to pay a couple hundred more for a system that could last you 5-7 years.

10. Back To Top    #10

New Hayward salt and swim

Out of curiosity, is this new system a replacement for the aquaTrol? I just put one on my 24' AGP last year and was hoping to get 4 or 5 years out the cell. I think I paid around $500 for it. If this new system is around the same initially, but you have to replace the cell every season for $250 or so depending on which cell you get, then what's the point other than to part me from my cash? Btw- I like the aquaTrol very much! Definitely beats hauling a gallizion jugs of bleach weekly!!
    24' Round x 54" deep AGP, Hayward 1hp 2sp pump, 150 sqft cannister filter, Aquatrol SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

I just talked to a local pool supply store about SWG (hoping to find the resilience brand pricing locally) and they were PIMPING these Salt & Swim big time. I cant believe the 6 mo cells are $200!!! I believe you come out cheaper with the BBB method if you really only get 6 mos. Of course this store was claiming you wont get much more than 3yrs out of a T cell in aqua-rite and with the reduced up front cost, easy install, no cleaning, blah blah that you are getting so much better deal. Of course then they proceded to tell me that this unit rated for a 22k gallon pool produces the SAME amount of chlorine at the same rate as the aqua rite rated for 40k gallons (HA! so whats the point then?!), and that you will still need your other chemicals algaecide, 'shock' (LOL!) and whatever else they can talk you into while you are in there. In all reality though, if someone starts making generic cells for $79-99, it actually would be nice to just put one in and forget it, and throw it away at the end of the season!
    Built Myself in one yr and counting: 18x36 (8ft Deep) Inground Vinyl 2'R rectangle (25k gallons?)
    Polymer Walls and bracing
    Hayward Colorlogic LED light
    3x6 swimout with adjustable 'air bubble jets'
    4x8 jetted steps.
    4 Polaris Deck Jet Fountains set flush in concrete deck
    1.5hp Hayward and 300lb sand filter on intermatic timer, plumbed inside my shop building for protection.
    Also integrated a gas firepit into the end of the pool deck. (Looks cool to me!)
    latest part of the project was installing bronze colored aluminum 4ft picket fence surrounding.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

IMO it is a marriage of a bunch of bad ideas
    -no salt readout
    -no fine tuning of output(20% increments)
    -"disposable" cell
    -plug in
    -Mickey mouse plumbing rig
    -plastic box

It's a low priced unit designed to reel in people who don't understand what a salt system is and what it will and won't do.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

17,500 gal inground
    You may also want to look at the AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital Nano.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks to all that have commented on this. It is helping me narrow down my options. It is very hard to decide on which one to get. You have price, chlorine production, warranty, and ease of use and installation all playing a role in my decision. I am looking for one with a plug-in option to make things easier on winter storage of the unit vs hard wired. As of now, my choices are the Jandy unit and a Hayward unit (NOT the Salt and Swim unit though). Any more thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

If you're looking at the Hayward AquaTrol you'll want to note that it is rated for 18,000 gallons @ 100% being run 24/7 which may cut it close on a 17,500 gallon pool.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

16. Back To Top    #16

I sat in on a full presentation on this product at the Jetline Trade show in NJ. I believe this product is perfect for a pool retailer to sell off the shelf. I think everybody is missing the point on salt & swim. Salt & Swim is a simple to install chlorinator. The key to this product is it is a 110V plug in unit, so there is no need for an electrician or any high voltage wiring. It produces the same chlorine as the other major players in the market for their comparable 25k unit. Here is the difference. It is a seasonal salt cell. Which means you buy the full unit one year for $549 retail and then the consimer buys a replacement cell each season for $199. Its the same price as a season's bucket of tabs.
    I saw them install the unit is 6 minutes. It was crazy cool. Easy to install and it's easy to replace a cell each season or as needed. As a builder, I would not use it because I sell and install the Hayward AquaRite unit. It lasts 5 - 8 years in the northeast and I can wire it up to a pool contoller. But don't confuse the two products. The salt & swim is up and running for the consumer for $549 retail. The AquaRite is closer to $1200 or more depending on installation costs. As far as those other names, SNS, and Compupool, I would stay away from those and stick with the top 3 names hayward, pentair and zodiac.

17. Back To Top    #17

Lets do a little math. (I know I said there wasn't going to be any math )

Lets say a normal swcg cell lasts 5 years and I pay $1200 for it. The S&S cost $550 and I have to buy a new $200 cell every year. In 5 years I've spent $1200 on the normal unit, but I've spent $550 + $200 + $200 + $200 + $200 = $1350. Doesn't seem like such a bargain to me.

I do like the way it installs but the extended cost isn't worth the little bit of installation ease.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

The AquaTrol install is really simple for an above ground pool, standard cord with a plug and a place to plug in the pump, plus it includes a timer, and it is less expensive (at least for the moment).

I can't imagine any reason to go for the salt and swim.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

19. Back To Top    #19

I don't disagree at all to the math. In the long run a person would probably save using an AquaRite or another full cell over the entire life of the product. But, there are plenty of people who buy furniture and pay $49 a month, instead of paying $1,000 all up front. Or people who only plan on staying in a home for 2 or 3 years that this product would be perfect for. I have had hundreds of customers walk in my store wanting salt chlorination, and then leave empty handed when I quote them $1300 installed. I discourage consumers to put a conventional salt chlorinator in themselves.

On another note, the salt and swim can be installed by anybody who can use a hacksaw to cut a piece of plumbing. Just about any handy consumer) There is no gluing, or drilling for flow switches, or wiring. Just cut the pipe, screw it in, and and plug it in. It was very well designed. Like I said, I watched a servicer in the audience take 6 minutes to install the unit right out of the box.

If it's purely math, I don't disagree with you, but it's a pretty cool product. Best of all it's not one or the other... both are still available.
    As I stated previously I swear by the Hayward AquaRite unit (formerly Goldline) I put in over 300 units since 2007 and had a handful of issues. Enjoy the pool season everybody!

20. Back To Top    #20

I am new to owning a pool (my second season). I put in the SAS 3C last year (did it myself - I used the pressure fit version, but I am not opposed to the pro with glue). My Cell is past 6 months of use and I am getting proper chlorine levels without upping the output on the controller.

If I get 2 seasons out of it, I am happy.

I am able to wire a system like the Auto Pilot myself but I did not want to bother. I have also been poking around and I could get a replacement cell for $130, so its not such a bad deal.

I only paid $350 for the entire setup.

I am VERY pleased with it.

27K Vinyl
    Hayward SAS 3C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast