Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Filter turned Water powered Rocket! oops

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Filter turned Water powered Rocket! oops

I cleaned the filter and I guess I failed to tighten something properly. Turned the pump on, watched the pressure build and then... You remember those water powered rockets from you were a kid? I recreated that on a massive scale. A bit of water started to spray out and them a massive BOOM. The top half of the filter went somewhere between 30-40 feet in the air, over the house into the front yard. I would guess this thing weighs around 20 lbs. Neighbors came out and I hid inside out of embarrassment. When they went in, I retrieved my filter. Time to read the manual.

I am guessing I didn't have the gasket seated properly or I didn't tighten that ring enough.
    In-ground, SWG, 20,000 Gallons, Attached spa w/ Spillover, Hayward system, Cartridge Filter.
    Dallas TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Filter turned Water powered Rocket! oops

Need video! Awesome! Much better than my rocket-launched test plugs!
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you sure you didn't have a valve closed or set wrong? Sounds like more than normal pressure.

But it does give you a good story to tell!
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

It was only about 25 PSI when it went flying.
    I had an expert (my dad ) come out and he showed me how to really tighten that band that holds the 2 halves together.
    In-ground, SWG, 20,000 Gallons, Attached spa w/ Spillover, Hayward system, Cartridge Filter.
    Dallas TX

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dissfigured
    It was only about 25 PSI when it went flying.
    25 psi is too high for most filters. If the gauge is accurate, then I would suspect an oversized pump or a blockage on the return.

6. Back To Top    #6

My filter runs 20 when clean and 30 when dirty! It marked on the gauge by the manuf, and accurate on my setup! It is a big un tho.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Lershac
    My filter runs 20 when clean and 30 when dirty! It marked on the gauge by the manuf, and accurate on my setup! It is a big un tho.
    Same here.

I have always circulated the pool separately from the spa but after yesterday, I opened one of the water features to the spa while filtering the pool and was able to bring the pressure down a bit to around 23-24. So now filtering the pool also does a spillover from the spa at the same time.
    Dallas TX

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

glad nobody was injured, that's dangerous!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    glad nobody was injured, that's dangerous!
    Ditto that! How close to it were you?
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

About 10 feet. My poor bloodhound was about 4 feet away and got soaked.
    Dallas TX

11. Back To Top    #11

What kind of filter was it? Seems odd that it would only use friction to keep the top seated. On ours, there is a band with a clamp on it that holds the flanges of the top and bottom together. It's designed such that the two flanges are captive inside the C-shaped band. I agree that is a VERY dangerous situation. You might have a pool pro come out to inspect it, especially since the filter may have been damaged from the explosion (esp. the lid when it returned to Earth).

BTW, in general, I try to keep my body away from the top of my filter, especially when starting it. There are apparently known examples of serious injuries from filters separating like that. At least that's what my filter's manual implies. Good thing you were at a distance when it happened.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

12. Back To Top    #12

Yep, this is what I have. I just didn't get the Ring / Clamp tight enough
    http://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/In-Grou ... 5516_I.htm
    Dallas TX

13. Back To Top    #13

Could you recreate that for us and get some video this time?!
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank