remodeling a gunite pool

kostia

Jun 30, 2010
Hello,
I have a couple of questions about the remodeling project I am considering. I have a 28K gallon plastered gunite pool, precast coping in MA. Please excuse my lack of terminology knowledge if I say something silly.
A lot of tiles on the edge around the pool has fallen off or is falling off. It seems that there is some coping stone that are hollow under them. I was told that to fix things right at the very least I need to re-mortar those stones and only then replace tiles. I am considering a larger project with pebble stone and coping stone replacement.
One suggestion is to use cantilever decking. What are the pros and cons of doing this? I understand that it increases the cost of the project but in the long run it could save money by less problems on tile cracking, no need to decko seal every couple of years between coping and the deck, and it may look better as well.
Any comparison pictures avaialble on how it looks like where coping meets the pool walls?
Recommendations for a contractor?
Thanks in advance,
Kostia

A canter levered deck is a look. It can be either brushed or stamped concrete.

Will it save you money? I don't see how. A coping job with its expansion joint sealed is a lot fewer feet than a whole new deck with removal. Resealing the expansion joint is not that big a deal considering.

Here in NJ, an expansion joint should last about 5 to 7 years. A coping job is forever if the pool's chems and the expansion joint are properly maintained and the homeowner likes it. They usually aren't and so I get to bid on it when the homeowner is ready.

If the coping is going and tiles are falling, chances are the both will need doing all the way around/ The old is not normally reused. The tile and coping will otherwise continue to give you problems. Only you can decide how much you can bear. Doing all three at once means draining only once. Doing them individually will mean draining for each one and will cost you more in the long run.

The finishing with a high aggregate finish is IMHO, the way to go. It does cost some extra but you make up for that in durability and longevity. For example, plain plaster may last 8 to 10 years and costs $5000. A high aggregate like Pebble Tec or Wet Edge may last for 25 to 30 years and costs $8000. The numbers are somewhat fictitious for the example but will give you an idea of what to expect.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.