Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Softener for water fill

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Softener for water fill

Are there any problems with using soft water from softener to fill pool? I have very hard water and used in the past softened water. However, the pool guy tells me that it is no good to use water softener output to fill the pool. I am ready to replace the water (4 years old) after an AA wash planned for this week. Thanks.
    Temecula, CA
    28,000 Gal. In-Ground plaster and tile, Total Control AutoPilot with SC-60 SWG and PH control, Pentair EasyTouch 8, EasyTouch Wireless Remote, Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump, Intellibrite lighting, Pentair Quad 100, Solar heating, Pentair Mastertemp 400 Gas Heater, The Pool Cleaner 4x, Aquabot Turbo T2 Robotic Cleaner, Water feature spillover from SPA.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Water Softener for water fill

There are going to be two issues with using a water softener.

First, the volume of water that a pool takes well exceeds the volume of a typical home water softener so you will need to recharge several times.

Second, you don't want to completly fill a plaster pool with softened water because at a minimum, you need 200 ppm of CH. So depending on the CH of the fill water, you need to figure out how much unsoftened fill to use and how much softened fill to use.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3
    Houston, Texas

Re: Water Softener for water fill

Have you looked to see if reverse osmosis pool treatment is available in your area?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!