DFW folks! UPDATE!

Does anyone have a solar cover they would like to get rid of, not currently using or would let me borrow? Anything would help. The estimated temperature Saturday was supposed to be in the high 60's but it has steadily dropped (down to 59 now) since I invited a ton of people to my house for my daughter's 9th birthday. I don't know what to do :?

Re: DFW folks!

Do you have a winter cover? If so you could use it. Evaporation is what causes most heat loss so anything that would slow down the evaporation would help. It may be a pain to don and doff but if you're only doing it once it may be worth it.

hey ajones :wave:

Yes, we are going to heat it up for the party starting on Friday (24 hours) but it supposed to get down to 39 Friday night and only 59 on Saturday. I was hoping a solar cover would help increase the base temperature before we heat it as well as retain the heat and make it heat quicker. Have you heated your pool?

i have on several occassions.

the good thing for the next couple of days is that it's going to be 75 or so today and then nearly 80 tomorrow so that will definently help warm the pool up and even now they are saying mid 60's on Saturday so that's somewhat better than the 50's..... :cheers:

on the occassions when i heated my pool up it was closer to 70 degrees and i heated it up to 85 in about 6-8 hours but it was warmer outside than it will be on friday night.

totally get the reason for the cover to assist and that would help keep the heat in. i don't have a solar cover but if i did i would certainly let you use it for the party.

good luck though, it will be fun just the same. kids swim regardless of water temperatures!!!!!!! :shock:

Our pools are pretty similar, I'm wondering if I am heating it up too soon by starting on Friday? The party is at 2 pm on Saturday. I am worried with the crazy wind around here and the low temperature on Friday night that it might take longer to heat. I need the pool warm for the party or I am hosed!

I was so excited to see the temp go back up for Saturday and am hoping it will get higher since it is in the high 70s all week besides Saturday!

Was it expensive to heat your pool? I have no idea what to expect lol!

my guess would be that the wind will die down sometime during the night but cold is still cold, it will definently drop the temperature. just to be safe if it were me i would start heating it up friday night. maybe set it on 70 or so and then turn it up early saturday morning to your desired temperature or you could just set it friday night to your desired temp and let it go.

i can't really say how expensive it was but honestly, gas is cheap here in texas so my guess would be that you may see a jump of about 50-100 bucks for that. i will say, i expected to have a whopping gas bill and it was considerably lower than what i anticipated.

good luck with the party!

I was told it'd cost a grand a month to heat my pool. I was in disbelief so talked to the folks across the street. Yep, that's what they've been paying! OUCH! I cut my heater out and recycled it (it was old). But, your pool is smaller.

My pool is currently at 65. I say throw the kids in, they'll be accustomed to it after a while. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Monkey's Mom said:
257Wbymag, our pool was 65 today. I was planning on heating the pool to 82-85. Do you not think that will be warm enough to swim? The cover was just to help retain the heat so the heater would work more efficiently. Do you have one I can borrow? Rent?

Oh, I see now. I didn't notice that you had a heater. I thought that you were hoping to warm the pool by solar cover alone. I would think that 82 to 85 is plenty warm. Hopefully, you won't have to contend with too much wind that day. Any breeze would be chilly when wet I would think.

The party was a HUGE success! We started heating it Friday at noon and the party was at 2 pm on Saturday. The starting temperature was 64 degrees and within 4 hours it was up to 71. The sun started setting we went outside to cover it with a tarp. DH said the temp showed 74 but quickly dropped to 69. I stayed up till 1 am and the temp was 74. I did heat the spa a couple times to the 90s and then circulated the pool to see if that would help. It got it from 74-75. We woke up at 7 am and DH turned the remote on and it said 75. I was so ******. The sun was rising and within an hour and a half it was 84. By 10 am it was at 88 and we turned it down to 85. We took the tarp off around 1 pm and the water was amazing at 87. The kids had a blast. We turned the heater off and after the party were able to use the pool until 1 am. The water yesterday was 75 so the kids were able to swim. Today it dropped to 68 but the kids were outside swimming again :goodjob:

I think we had the heater on about 26 hours for the party. I'll update when I get my gas bill :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.