Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gunite Curing Time

1. Back To Top    #1

Gunite Curing Time

The recent shotcrete curing thread and the one about possible calcium nodules has me concerned.

Gunite was applied to my pool in mid August 2011, but because the delay caused by my PB (I eventually had to fire him and finish the pool on my own) the gunite was exposed until early December 2011 when the plaster was finally applied.

Was that too long? Could that cause a problem with the plaster not bonding to the surface of the gunite?

I followed the advice on keeping the gunite wet for the first couple of weeks.

I have some of the so-called white spot etching and I noticed a small sized depression (about the diameter of a nickel and about a quarter inch deep) in the luna quartz surface of the spa. I also may have the white calcium nodules in a few spots. But otherwise, my plaster job looks normal and I'm generally satisfied.

Any thoughts?
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gunite Curing Time

The period of time from shooting till you put your finish on is not excessive. As long as the shell's surface was moistened before the application and filled, you should be good.

That being said, given that you are in an area where a significant calcium level is present in the water used, the presence of a nodule should not come as a big surprise. The etching may be suspect and the small sized depression also, but without a picture showing it, I don't know that we can certain. Have you mentioned this to anyone else, like the applicator?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

The etching, yes. He inspected the plaster job last summer and offered to do a no drain acid wash for $500. I passed on that. At the time I didn't notice any nodules (there are only a few now) or the depression in the spa at the time.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    The period of time from shooting till you put your finish on is not excessive. As long as the shell's surface was moistened before the application and filled, you should be good.

That being said, given that you are in an area where a significant calcium level is present in the water used, the presence of a nodule should not come as a big surprise. The etching may be suspect and the small sized depression also, but without a picture showing it, I don't know that we can certain. Have you mentioned this to anyone else, like the applicator?

Scott
    Agreed ask the applicator - my only comment would was it clean (power washed) before plaster
    Chris
    www.shotcrete.us

5. Back To Top    #5

I believe so. My plaster guy came out before the application and I recall that the inside of the pool looked very clean when he was done. But I wasn't there when it would have been washed.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

You should be fine - enjoy your pool
    Chris