Leaking Whisperflo pump

Feb 26, 2012
Houston, TX
So I'm assuming that any leak is a bad leak, but how concerned should I be?

I have a Whisperflo pump, and when it's running, there is a leak coming from the bottom somewhere. I can't really tell where because it's been dark outside everytime I go to look at it, but there is water under it.

I came across this thread:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pentair-whisperflow-seal-replacement-how-to-w-photos-t10763.html

I'm hoping it's just a seal. Any ideas what else it might be? Best/worst case scenario?

Here is a pic of the pump: [attachment=1:1sd7rwnc]Whisperflo Pump.jpg[/attachment:1sd7rwnc]

Here is a pic of where the leak is:[attachment=0:1sd7rwnc]Whisperflo Leak.jpg[/attachment:1sd7rwnc]

It appears to be coming from between the junction of the motor and the next piece (called whatever...)

Hope that helps. Can this just be a seal?

Attachments

• Whisperflo Pump.jpg
    Whisperflo Pump.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Whisperflo Leak.jpg
    Whisperflo Leak.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 97
It's most likely either the shaft seal or the seal plate o-ring. You'll replace both in the process of replacing one so it's not important which it really is.

When you have it apart, inspect the seal plate real close for cracks. It's not common for the seal plate to crack but it does happen and it's bad to put everything back together and then find out it's cracked. Even if it's cracked it's not very expensive to replace.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.