Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaking Whisperflo pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaking Whisperflo pump

So I'm assuming that any leak is a bad leak, but how concerned should I be?

I have a Whisperflo pump, and when it's running, there is a leak coming from the bottom somewhere. I can't really tell where because it's been dark outside everytime I go to look at it, but there is water under it.

I came across this thread:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/penta...os-t10763.html

I'm hoping it's just a seal. Any ideas what else it might be? Best/worst case scenario?
    9500 gal gunite | Pump: 2hp Pentair Whisperflo | Filter: 420 sq ft Pentair Clean & Clear | Jandy AquaPure 1400 Salt Cell

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaking Whisperflo pump

Here is a pic of the pump: [attachment=1:1sd7rwnc]Whisperflo Pump.jpg[/attachment:1sd7rwnc]

Here is a pic of where the leak is:[attachment=0:1sd7rwnc]Whisperflo Leak.jpg[/attachment:1sd7rwnc]

It appears to be coming from between the junction of the motor and the next piece (called whatever...)

Hope that helps. Can this just be a seal?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    9500 gal gunite | Pump: 2hp Pentair Whisperflo | Filter: 420 sq ft Pentair Clean & Clear | Jandy AquaPure 1400 Salt Cell

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Leaking Whisperflo pump

It's most likely either the shaft seal or the seal plate o-ring. You'll replace both in the process of replacing one so it's not important which it really is.

When you have it apart, inspect the seal plate real close for cracks. It's not common for the seal plate to crack but it does happen and it's bad to put everything back together and then find out it's cracked. Even if it's cracked it's not very expensive to replace.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit