For a vinyl pool - PVC coping? or Aluminum?

Stilly

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 26, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We are hoping to put in an inground vinyl pool this year. Two of the pool builders that I have spoken with so far (one is Crystal Pools, the other is a small local company) use aluminum coping for the steel wall inground vinyl pools. Another company who I have not yet contacted (Fox Pools) uses PVC coping according to their specs.

1. Which is better? Aluminum or PVC coping? Hubby and I are both thinking the aluminum is, but he still wants to speak with Fox to see what sort of quote they would come up with.

2. Does anyone have any opinion of Fox Pools (or Crystal Pools for that matter)? Fox is running some pretty good pre-season special right now, but I worry that it is sub-par material for the price.

3. I am in S.Central PA in case that makes any difference. Thank you for any guidance you could share.

does it have to be one of those choices? not brick, stone, or some type of cantilever coping?

There are numerous amounts of fox pools installed in my location, and most are 20+ years old if that is any indication on there durability.

As of now, those are the only choices that I am considering to stay within budget. Either one of those will have a 3-ft concrete deck, and then we will add more decorative pavers ourselves expanding into a patio.

Glad to hear the Fox pools seem to be pretty durable in your location - where would that be?

Thanks for your input.

blakej said:
Are you planning on having a salt system in your new pool? If so, I would lean towards PVC over aluminum.

Yes, I am planning on having a SWG installed. I am guessing it could damage the aluminum? Interesting - that is something to consider. Thank you!

Stilly said:
As of now, those are the only choices that I am considering to stay within budget. Either one of those will have a 3-ft concrete deck, and then we will add more decorative pavers ourselves expanding into a patio.

Glad to hear the Fox pools seem to be pretty durable in your location - where would that be?

Thanks for your input.

I completely understand staying w/in budget but cantilevered coping really shouldn't cost much. Tell your builder you'll go with him at his price but you want bull-nosed cantilevered coping. I doubt he'd balk at the offer. I'm in the middle of a vinyl pool build and 2 of the 3 PB's I interviewed offered it standard, the third was dead set on upgrading us to flagstone which we didn't want. Depending on the size of your pool I can't imagine it being that big of an upgrade.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
swimcmp said:
Sunlight on pvc will eventually weaken it. We are starting to see pools that we built 10 to 15 years ago with pvc coping turning brittle and breaking the liner lip off. Then there is no way to hang the liner

That's interesting. I believe that this is the standard construction spec for Fox Pools, but they are the only ones that I have come across who do it this way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.