Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: For a vinyl pool - PVC coping? or Aluminum?

1. Back To Top    #1

For a vinyl pool - PVC coping? or Aluminum?

We are hoping to put in an inground vinyl pool this year. Two of the pool builders that I have spoken with so far (one is Crystal Pools, the other is a small local company) use aluminum coping for the steel wall inground vinyl pools. Another company who I have not yet contacted (Fox Pools) uses PVC coping according to their specs.

1. Which is better? Aluminum or PVC coping? Hubby and I are both thinking the aluminum is, but he still wants to speak with Fox to see what sort of quote they would come up with.

2. Does anyone have any opinion of Fox Pools (or Crystal Pools for that matter)? Fox is running some pretty good pre-season special right now, but I worry that it is sub-par material for the price.

3. I am in S.Central PA in case that makes any difference. Thank you for any guidance you could share.
    16 x 32 vinyl In-ground Lagoon; Shallow pool 3' to 5'; Buddy Seat; IntelliBrite 5g LED; Pool Pilor Digital SWG, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320; Pentair Intelliflo VS + SVRS; Pentair Sand Shark. My Construction Thread - Spring 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: For a vinyl pool - PVC coping? or Aluminum?

does it have to be one of those choices? not brick, stone, or some type of cantilever coping?

There are numerous amounts of fox pools installed in my location, and most are 20+ years old if that is any indication on there durability.

3. Back To Top    #3

As of now, those are the only choices that I am considering to stay within budget. Either one of those will have a 3-ft concrete deck, and then we will add more decorative pavers ourselves expanding into a patio.

Glad to hear the Fox pools seem to be pretty durable in your location - where would that be?

Thanks for your input.
    16 x 32 vinyl In-ground Lagoon; Shallow pool 3' to 5'; Buddy Seat; IntelliBrite 5g LED; Pool Pilor Digital SWG, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320; Pentair Intelliflo VS + SVRS; Pentair Sand Shark. My Construction Thread - Spring 2012

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    does it have to be one of those choices? not brick, stone, or some type of cantilever coping?

I would think they mean the type of coping track, not actual coping material.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Are you planning on having a salt system in your new pool? If so, I would lean towards PVC over aluminum.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187

I would think they mean the type of coping track, not actual coping material.
    That is probably what I mean! I am a complete newbie at this - thank you for clarifying.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by blakej
    Are you planning on having a salt system in your new pool? If so, I would lean towards PVC over aluminum.
    Yes, I am planning on having a SWG installed. I am guessing it could damage the aluminum? Interesting - that is something to consider. Thank you!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I am in South GA.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Stilly
    As of now, those are the only choices that I am considering to stay within budget. Either one of those will have a 3-ft concrete deck, and then we will add more decorative pavers ourselves expanding into a patio.

Glad to hear the Fox pools seem to be pretty durable in your location - where would that be?

Thanks for your input.
    I completely understand staying w/in budget but cantilevered coping really shouldn't cost much. Tell your builder you'll go with him at his price but you want bull-nosed cantilevered coping. I doubt he'd balk at the offer. I'm in the middle of a vinyl pool build and 2 of the 3 PB's I interviewed offered it standard, the third was dead set on upgrading us to flagstone which we didn't want. Depending on the size of your pool I can't imagine it being that big of an upgrade.
    22 x 36 In Ground Vinyl - 23K Gal - Saltwater - Tara Liner
    1hp 2-speed Hayward Super Pump, Hayward 6060 Booster Pump
    Hayward SwimClear C3030 Filter, Hayward 400Btu NG Heater
    Hayward Aqualogic PS-4, Polaris 280 Cleaner, ColorLogic 4.0 LED

10. Back To Top    #10

I will definitely look into it - thank you!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Go with aluminum over pvc for durabilty if you are going to own the house for an extended period of time pvc will eventually deteriorate and not hold the liner bead
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes I was worried about it cracking when exposed to cold weather. Winters are not usually horrendous here, but we do have our share of cold weather.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Sunlight on pvc will eventually weaken it. We are starting to see pools that we built 10 to 15 years ago with pvc coping turning brittle and breaking the liner lip off. Then there is no way to hang the liner
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by swimcmp
    Sunlight on pvc will eventually weaken it. We are starting to see pools that we built 10 to 15 years ago with pvc coping turning brittle and breaking the liner lip off. Then there is no way to hang the liner
    That's interesting. I believe that this is the standard construction spec for Fox Pools, but they are the only ones that I have come across who do it this way.